AT&T gets Nokia Lumia 920 for LTE exclusively
Carrier said will will start selling the Lumia 920 and 820 some time next month; pricing not disclosed
Computerworld - AT&T Thursday disclosed plans to sell the Nokia Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 smartphones for its 4G LTE networks, along with other Windows Phone 8-based devices, some time in November.
AT&T said it's exclusively selling the Lumia 920 smartphones.
The carrier didn't divulge pricing or a precise release date, but took note in a statement that AT&T has sold more Windows-based phones than any other carrier -- a sign of its commitment to Microsoft and Nokia, as well as to the fledgling operating system that holds just 5% of the worldwide smartphone market.
Nokia unveiled the two Lumia smartphones on Sept. 5. At the time, it called attention to the Lumia 920's superior camera, augmented reality capability and built-in wireless charging. The camera capability quickly came into question, however, as Nokia had to apologize for faking a video used to depict the Lumia 920's optical abilities.
For its part, AT&T praised the Lumia 920's PureView imaging via an 8 megapixel rear-facing camera that records HD video at 1080p and a front-facing camera records in 720p.
The Nokia device also features an augmented reality City Lens feature, which can be used to enhance Nokia Maps with information about buildings and landmarks shown in the phone's camera viewfinder.
"Exclusive to our customers and featuring unique innovations in imaging technology, wireless charging and a bright, sensitive display - all on the nation's largest 4G network - the Lumia 920 will be one of the hottest phones for the holidays," said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president for devices and developer services at AT&T Mobility.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed .
- Studies show Sprint and T-Mobile need to expand U.S. coverage
- Gear Fit: Samsung strikes again with its 'build one of any device' plan
- Nokia Lumia Icon on sale Feb. 20 exclusively at Verizon
- Samsung hints at new UI for upcoming Galaxy S5
- How 'Lenovorola' changes the mobile world
- Google and Samsung grow cozier with patent deal, Motorola sale
- Should Sprint buy T-Mobile?
- iPhone, Samsung smartphone use by U.S. consumers jumps
- A mobile app reality check
- Verizon LTE getting AWS upgrades, even as execs admit to some performance 'hot spots'
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts