EMC names new CTO to oversee cloud, big data strategy
Industry veteran Roese assumes duties long held by longtime EMC CTO Jeff Nick
Computerworld - EMC has named former Huawei Technologies executive John Roese as chief technology officer.
Roese, also a former Nortel Networks CTO, will play a key role in shaping EMC's cloud and big data technology strategy, the company said.
Reese reports to Jeremy Burton, EMC's executive vice president of product operations and marketing.
Roese is a 20-year veteran of the IT industry who is credited with 20 pending or granted patents.
"John brings to EMC a unique blend of experience spanning the entire breadth of IT systems from silicon all the way up through networking, storage, servers and virtualization," Burton said in a statement. "In addition, he's directed product development in enterprise, carrier and consumer markets."
Roese was most recently general manager of North American R&D at networking and telecommunications giant Huawei.
At Nortel, Roese was the senior technology and R&D executive, overseeing an R&D staff of 12,000 and an annual budget of $1.7 billion.
Prior to Nortel, he was a CTO at Broadcom Corp.
Roese replaces Jeff Nick, who assumes a new CTO role and reports to Paul Maritz, EMC's chief strategist. In the new post, Nick will focus on big data and emerging applications initiatives, EMC said.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed .
Read more about IT Industry in Computerworld's IT Industry Topic Center.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts