Samsung claims jury misconduct, demands retrial against Apple
"These incorrect and extraneous legal standards had no place in the jury room," Samsung's lawyers wrote. "For all these reasons, Mr. Hogan's conduct during voir dire and jury deliberations must be fully examined in a hearing with all jurors and can be cured only by a grant of new trial," they added.
Samsung also contends in the filing that it is entitled to judgement as a matter of law, or a new trial on Apple's design patent infringements, because it believes that no reasonable jury could find infringements of Apple's design patents and no reasonable jury could find Apple's design patents valid, among other similar claims, the document shows.
Since the verdict, Apple has asked the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California to block sales of eight Samsung products because they infringe on its patents. The same court dissolved a preliminary injunction banning sales of Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1, because the jury found in the same case that Samsung did not violate the patent that had given rise to the injunction.
Samsung, meanwhile, has sought to extend its own claims of patent infringement against Apple products to cover the iPhone 5.
Loek covers all things tech for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts