PlayBook OS 2.1 update boosts security, management
RIM releases free update to BlackBerry PlayBook tablet OS as over-the-air download
Computerworld - Research in Motion Wednesday released a BlackBerry PlayBook OS update that adds full device encryption to secure personal data stored on the device to go along with the already-available encryption for corporate data.
In addition to improved security features, the update simplifies deployment of tablets in workplaces, including over-the-air enrollment of a PlayBook to the BlackBerry Mobile Fusion service and ActiveSync authentication.
The update is available without charge via an over-the-air download.
Customers will get a notification of the update on the PlayBook or can tap the gear icon in the top right corner of the display and check for the new version under "software updates."
To activate full device encryption, users go to the "options" menu and navigate to security and then encryption. The action secures data on both work and personal areas of the device with AES 256-bit encryption.
The update also adds the Print To Go app capability across Wi-Fi networks, which means a user can deliver documents from a desktop computer to a PlayBook tablet on a different network.
Text messaging is now supported as a BlackBerry Bridge application, which requires using a connection through a BlackBerry smartphone.
RIM also fixed the PlayBook's requirement to use messages, contacts and calendar in landscape mode by adding portrait mode. The expanded landscape mode also remains.
PlayBook features a runtime Android OS, and the update adds support for the high definition cameras and the ability to make in-app payments.
RIM said Wednesday it has sold more than 1 million PlayBook tablets.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BlackBerry pushes BBM Protected for end-to-end encrypted messaging
- Can Microsoft's Windows Phone OS surge in market share?
- HTC One M8 called a good looker and genuine rival to the Galaxy S5
- Smartphone innovation is slowing, so what's next?
- Studies show Sprint and T-Mobile need to expand U.S. coverage
- Gear Fit: Samsung strikes again with its 'build one of any device' plan
- Nokia Lumia Icon on sale Feb. 20 exclusively at Verizon
- Samsung hints at new UI for upcoming Galaxy S5
- How 'Lenovorola' changes the mobile world
- Google and Samsung grow cozier with patent deal, Motorola sale
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!