Google's Motorola unit drops one trade case against Apple
Motorola Mobility had tried to block importation of iPhones, iPads and iPods to the U.S. less than two months ago
IDG News Service - Google has dropped a major part of its wide-ranging patent-infringement battle against Apple, withdrawing a complaint to the U.S. International Trade Commission.
Google had sought to block iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch models at the border.
Google's Motorola Mobility business filed the complaint on Aug. 18, alleging Apple had infringed seven patents for functions such as email notifications and media players.
Motorola asked the ITC to outlaw the importation of Apple products that infringed the patents.
In the withdrawal filing, dated Monday, Motorola Mobility said it had not settled the dispute with Apple, and it asked to drop the complaint "without prejudice," meaning it could decide to pursue it again later.
The August complaint is just one of several cases in which Google is going up against Apple through the Motorola unit, which it finished acquiring in May.
The companies are also battling in courts in the U.S. and Europe.
In a separate case before the ITC, the commission ruled on Aug. 24 that Apple did not infringe three Motorola patents. It passed the question of a fourth patent on to an administrative law judge.
- Samsung invokes Alice case to challenge two Apple patents
- Elon Musk to open up Supercharging patent designs
- Apple asks U.S. court to make Samsung remove infringing features
- Apple and Google agree to drop all patent suits
- Update: Jury finds Samsung infringed Apple patents, must pay $120M in damages
- The wrath of Koh: Samsung gets judge's ire in Apple patent case
- In Apple v. Samsung, it's a 'holy war' for $2B
- A day into the trial, Apple and Samsung already annoying each other
- Supreme Court justices raise questions about software patents
- Phil Schiller up again in next round of Apple-Samsung battle
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts