Lenovo to open first U.S. manufacturing plant in N.C.
Lenovo to open its first factory in North Carolina to build Think tablets, laptops and PCs
IDG News Service - Lenovo on Tuesday said it will open its first computer manufacturing plant in the U.S., where it will make laptops, PCs and tablets sold under its Think brand.
Lenovo will open the factory early next year in Whitsett, North Carolina, where it said it will create about 115 manufacturing jobs. It will be Lenovo's first factory in the U.S., supplementing plants in Mexico, Brazil and its home base of China.
The factory will make newer products including its ThinkPad Tablet 2 and its ThinkCentre M92p Tiny desktop, the company said. It won't be making the first wave of Tablet 2's, however, which are expected to go on sale later this month.
Lenovo was the world's second-largest PC maker behind Hewlett-Packard at the end of the second quarter, but is growing at a fast rate and quickly closing in on the top spot, according to Gartner and IDC. As of Friday, analysts at the research firms could not yet predict whether Lenovo would take the top spot from HP in the third quarter that just ended, but said the race was pretty close.
Lenovo has had a strong market presence in Asia-Pacific and Europe, and is still growing in the U.S. The factory will help better serve the U.S. market, the company said. Lenovo's main U.S. operations are in North Carolina, and the company also has a distribution center in that state.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts