Lenovo to open first U.S. manufacturing plant in N.C.
Lenovo to open its first factory in North Carolina to build Think tablets, laptops and PCs
IDG News Service - Lenovo on Tuesday said it will open its first computer manufacturing plant in the U.S., where it will make laptops, PCs and tablets sold under its Think brand.
Lenovo will open the factory early next year in Whitsett, North Carolina, where it said it will create about 115 manufacturing jobs. It will be Lenovo's first factory in the U.S., supplementing plants in Mexico, Brazil and its home base of China.
The factory will make newer products including its ThinkPad Tablet 2 and its ThinkCentre M92p Tiny desktop, the company said. It won't be making the first wave of Tablet 2's, however, which are expected to go on sale later this month.
Lenovo was the world's second-largest PC maker behind Hewlett-Packard at the end of the second quarter, but is growing at a fast rate and quickly closing in on the top spot, according to Gartner and IDC. As of Friday, analysts at the research firms could not yet predict whether Lenovo would take the top spot from HP in the third quarter that just ended, but said the race was pretty close.
Lenovo has had a strong market presence in Asia-Pacific and Europe, and is still growing in the U.S. The factory will help better serve the U.S. market, the company said. Lenovo's main U.S. operations are in North Carolina, and the company also has a distribution center in that state.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts