Web pages load 9% faster over LTE on Galaxy S III than iPhone 5
iPad 2 found to load Web pages 22% faster than Samsung Galaxy tablet over 3G, Strangeloop says
Computerworld - The Samsung Galaxy S III loads Web pages 9% faster over LTE wireless than Apple's new iPhone 5, according to tests by Strangeloop Networks, a vendor of network optimization software.
The report was based on tests in July and September of six different devices. The tests measured page load times from 200 e-commerce sites.
In a separate comparison, Strangeloop found that the average home page took 11.8 seconds to load on a Galaxy S smartphone and 11.5 seconds on an iPhone 4 over 3G, making both 40% slower than the average desktop load time.
When LTE was compared to 3G, Strangloop found that LTE was 27% faster. While most carriers claim that LTE is 10 times faster than 3G, Strangeloop's tests found the difference to be far less.
The average LTE speed for loading a Web page was 8.5 seconds compared with 11.7 seconds for 3G.
"Although LTE networks have improved mobile performance, pages are still far too slow," Strangeloop CEO Jonathan Bixby said.
Most mobile shoppers want a page to load in four seconds or less, according to surveys, he said.
Strangeloop didn't elaborate on the test methodology.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!