Web pages load 9% faster over LTE on Galaxy S III than iPhone 5
iPad 2 found to load Web pages 22% faster than Samsung Galaxy tablet over 3G, Strangeloop says
Computerworld - The Samsung Galaxy S III loads Web pages 9% faster over LTE wireless than Apple's new iPhone 5, according to tests by Strangeloop Networks, a vendor of network optimization software.
The report was based on tests in July and September of six different devices. The tests measured page load times from 200 e-commerce sites.
In a separate comparison, Strangeloop found that the average home page took 11.8 seconds to load on a Galaxy S smartphone and 11.5 seconds on an iPhone 4 over 3G, making both 40% slower than the average desktop load time.
When LTE was compared to 3G, Strangloop found that LTE was 27% faster. While most carriers claim that LTE is 10 times faster than 3G, Strangeloop's tests found the difference to be far less.
The average LTE speed for loading a Web page was 8.5 seconds compared with 11.7 seconds for 3G.
"Although LTE networks have improved mobile performance, pages are still far too slow," Strangeloop CEO Jonathan Bixby said.
Most mobile shoppers want a page to load in four seconds or less, according to surveys, he said.
Strangeloop didn't elaborate on the test methodology.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!