Web pages load 9% faster over LTE on Galaxy S III than iPhone 5
iPad 2 found to load Web pages 22% faster than Samsung Galaxy tablet over 3G, Strangeloop says
Computerworld - The Samsung Galaxy S III loads Web pages 9% faster over LTE wireless than Apple's new iPhone 5, according to tests by Strangeloop Networks, a vendor of network optimization software.
The report was based on tests in July and September of six different devices. The tests measured page load times from 200 e-commerce sites.
In a separate comparison, Strangeloop found that the average home page took 11.8 seconds to load on a Galaxy S smartphone and 11.5 seconds on an iPhone 4 over 3G, making both 40% slower than the average desktop load time.
When LTE was compared to 3G, Strangloop found that LTE was 27% faster. While most carriers claim that LTE is 10 times faster than 3G, Strangeloop's tests found the difference to be far less.
The average LTE speed for loading a Web page was 8.5 seconds compared with 11.7 seconds for 3G.
"Although LTE networks have improved mobile performance, pages are still far too slow," Strangeloop CEO Jonathan Bixby said.
Most mobile shoppers want a page to load in four seconds or less, according to surveys, he said.
Strangeloop didn't elaborate on the test methodology.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts