HP ElitePad 900 tablet won't run Snap feature
Display's resolution is too low for new Windows 8 dual-app Snap
Computerworld - The HP ElitePad 900 tablet, announced earlier Monday, comes with a screen resolution below what's required to run Snap, a unique feature that allows two apps to be viewed simultaneously.
The tablet, intended for business users and due to be released in January, features a 10.1-in. display with a 1280-x-800-pixel resolution. However, Microsoft requires a 1366-x-768-pixel resolution for the Windows 8 Snap feature to work.
HP explained the shortcoming in a news release footnote that reads: "The integrated display resolution is below the threshold for Snap, a Windows Store interface feature that allows two Windows Store applications to be viewed simultaneously. This feature may be enabled by attaching an external 1,366 x 768 or higher resolution display.
The shortcoming was dubbed a "fatal flaw" of the tablet in a PC World story, although HP apparently decided that Snap won't be a critical ingredient for users of the ElitePad. Pricing for the tablet has not been announced, and some analysts speculated that HP was holding down the expected price with a lower resolution display.
In a statement emailed by a spokeswoman, HP said Snap does not currently support Outlook or business applications, even though it will be "a convenient tool for consumers in the new Windows 8 interface.... HP's extensive focus group and human factors testing with customers over the past decade has dictated our product design. This research has indicated customer preference for a 16:10 ratio in a tablet form factor due to usability and comfort (the slightly wider design balances better on the forearm), the wider viewing angle and ideal display of legacy applications."
Microsoft's own Surface and the Samsung ATIV, both running Windows RT, will have high enough resolutions for Snap, as will the Windows 8 Dell Latitude 10. Analysts are still awaiting pricing on many of the Windows 8 and Windows RT tablets, although some said the lowest priced Windows RT tablets will be above $500, with Windows 8 tablets much higher.
More tablet info
The table below shows the most recently announced tablets as reported by Computerworld. Click a tablet's name in the leftmost column to read a news story or review with more information about the device, or view a larger table with more details about each product.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IDC drops tablet sales forecast, sees phablets encroaching on the market
- Samsung to offer 3 new tablets starting Feb. 13
- Tablets remain tops in American gift-buying plans
- 'Phablets' are eating into the tablet market, IDC says
- Apple springs Retina iPad Mini on customers
- The puzzling Lumia 2520 tablet: Will it disappear when Microsoft buys Nokia?
- Dell launches four new tablets -- all on Intel chips
- Few use tablets to replace laptops
- New Kindle Fire HDX's tech support button could push IT to yell 'Mayday!'
- Kindle Fire HDX tablets show big push for business users
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts