Instagram surges past Twitter in mobile user race
Facebook's photo sharing service grows 8.5-fold over last six months, eclipsing Twitter's 24% growth
Computerworld - Instagram has seen a huge spike in popularity among mobile device users over the past six months, pushing it past Twitter for the first time.
Instagram, which is just two years old, went from 886,000 daily mobile users in March to 4,589,000 in June and 7,302,000 in August, a nearly 8.5-fold increase, according to comScore, an online tracking and analytics firm.
Twitter had 6,868,000 daily active mobile users in August, up 24% over the same six month period. comScore said.
While comScore didn't include the number of daily mobile Facebook users, a spokesman said the social network has far more mobile users than Instagram and Twitter.
"I'd say Instagram has really benefitted by being bought by Facebook," said Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with ZK Research.
"People love to share photos but Facebook raised Instagram's profile. Social media junkies might have known about them but the general public's awareness of Instagram was low pre-Facebook," he added.
Facebook agreed to buy Instagram in April and the deal closed early last month, shortly after gaining U.S. Federal Trade Commission approval.
Instagram's surge in mobile growth over the past six months doesn't mean that Twitter is struggling, Kerravala said. It means simply that right now, users are more interested in photos than text.
"Well, they're focused on photos and the visual element, which is very popular these days," he added. "I think Instagram is easier to use for most people. It's visually centric."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts