Instagram surges past Twitter in mobile user race
Facebook's photo sharing service grows 8.5-fold over last six months, eclipsing Twitter's 24% growth
Computerworld - Instagram has seen a huge spike in popularity among mobile device users over the past six months, pushing it past Twitter for the first time.
Instagram, which is just two years old, went from 886,000 daily mobile users in March to 4,589,000 in June and 7,302,000 in August, a nearly 8.5-fold increase, according to comScore, an online tracking and analytics firm.
Twitter had 6,868,000 daily active mobile users in August, up 24% over the same six month period. comScore said.
While comScore didn't include the number of daily mobile Facebook users, a spokesman said the social network has far more mobile users than Instagram and Twitter.
"I'd say Instagram has really benefitted by being bought by Facebook," said Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with ZK Research.
"People love to share photos but Facebook raised Instagram's profile. Social media junkies might have known about them but the general public's awareness of Instagram was low pre-Facebook," he added.
Facebook agreed to buy Instagram in April and the deal closed early last month, shortly after gaining U.S. Federal Trade Commission approval.
Instagram's surge in mobile growth over the past six months doesn't mean that Twitter is struggling, Kerravala said. It means simply that right now, users are more interested in photos than text.
"Well, they're focused on photos and the visual element, which is very popular these days," he added. "I think Instagram is easier to use for most people. It's visually centric."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!