Instagram surges past Twitter in mobile user race
Facebook's photo sharing service grows 8.5-fold over last six months, eclipsing Twitter's 24% growth
Computerworld - Instagram has seen a huge spike in popularity among mobile device users over the past six months, pushing it past Twitter for the first time.
Instagram, which is just two years old, went from 886,000 daily mobile users in March to 4,589,000 in June and 7,302,000 in August, a nearly 8.5-fold increase, according to comScore, an online tracking and analytics firm.
Twitter had 6,868,000 daily active mobile users in August, up 24% over the same six month period. comScore said.
While comScore didn't include the number of daily mobile Facebook users, a spokesman said the social network has far more mobile users than Instagram and Twitter.
"I'd say Instagram has really benefitted by being bought by Facebook," said Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with ZK Research.
"People love to share photos but Facebook raised Instagram's profile. Social media junkies might have known about them but the general public's awareness of Instagram was low pre-Facebook," he added.
Facebook agreed to buy Instagram in April and the deal closed early last month, shortly after gaining U.S. Federal Trade Commission approval.
Instagram's surge in mobile growth over the past six months doesn't mean that Twitter is struggling, Kerravala said. It means simply that right now, users are more interested in photos than text.
"Well, they're focused on photos and the visual element, which is very popular these days," he added. "I think Instagram is easier to use for most people. It's visually centric."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Operationalizing the Buzz: Big Data 2013 The 2013 EMA/9sight Big Data research surveyed 259 business and technology stakeholders around the world.
- The Pivotal Big Data Suite- Reducing the Risks of Big Data The explosion of big data and the rapid evolution of big data tools and technologies is challenging IT to meet the demands of...
- The Principles of the Business Data Lake The Business Data Lake is a new approach to information management, analytics and reporting that better matches the culture of business and better...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts