iPhone 5 update fixes Verizon cellular data drain
The problem caused users to be docked for data when the iPhone was connected to Wi-Fi
IDG News Service - Apple released on Sunday an update that fixes a problem where the iPhone 5 draws data from the carrier Verizon despite being connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Apple's advisory said the scenario happens "under certain circumstances" but did not give more detail. The problem could potentially increase users' bills if they exceed the data allowance allowed by Verizon.
The update comes as people have complained of other issues concerning Apple's latest iteration of its popular smartphone, released Sept. 21, including Wi-Fi connectivity issues and that the device is easily scratched. The iPhone 5 has been also been mildly criticized for not enabling new technology such as NFC (Near Field Communications) but generally been praised as a solid product.
But Apple CEO Tim Cook apologized on Friday for Apple's mapping application, which replaced Google Maps in iOS 6. Users complained the application wasn't accurate and contained errors. Cook said the application would improve, and until then users could use Microsoft's Bing, Google Maps or Nokia's Waze.
Apple said Sept. 25 it had sold 5 million iPhone 5s, with more than 100 million installations of iOS 6.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts