iPhone 5 update fixes Verizon cellular data drain
The problem caused users to be docked for data when the iPhone was connected to Wi-Fi
IDG News Service - Apple released on Sunday an update that fixes a problem where the iPhone 5 draws data from the carrier Verizon despite being connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Apple's advisory said the scenario happens "under certain circumstances" but did not give more detail. The problem could potentially increase users' bills if they exceed the data allowance allowed by Verizon.
The update comes as people have complained of other issues concerning Apple's latest iteration of its popular smartphone, released Sept. 21, including Wi-Fi connectivity issues and that the device is easily scratched. The iPhone 5 has been also been mildly criticized for not enabling new technology such as NFC (Near Field Communications) but generally been praised as a solid product.
But Apple CEO Tim Cook apologized on Friday for Apple's mapping application, which replaced Google Maps in iOS 6. Users complained the application wasn't accurate and contained errors. Cook said the application would improve, and until then users could use Microsoft's Bing, Google Maps or Nokia's Waze.
Apple said Sept. 25 it had sold 5 million iPhone 5s, with more than 100 million installations of iOS 6.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts