iPhone 5 update fixes Verizon cellular data drain
The problem caused users to be docked for data when the iPhone was connected to Wi-Fi
IDG News Service - Apple released on Sunday an update that fixes a problem where the iPhone 5 draws data from the carrier Verizon despite being connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Apple's advisory said the scenario happens "under certain circumstances" but did not give more detail. The problem could potentially increase users' bills if they exceed the data allowance allowed by Verizon.
The update comes as people have complained of other issues concerning Apple's latest iteration of its popular smartphone, released Sept. 21, including Wi-Fi connectivity issues and that the device is easily scratched. The iPhone 5 has been also been mildly criticized for not enabling new technology such as NFC (Near Field Communications) but generally been praised as a solid product.
But Apple CEO Tim Cook apologized on Friday for Apple's mapping application, which replaced Google Maps in iOS 6. Users complained the application wasn't accurate and contained errors. Cook said the application would improve, and until then users could use Microsoft's Bing, Google Maps or Nokia's Waze.
Apple said Sept. 25 it had sold 5 million iPhone 5s, with more than 100 million installations of iOS 6.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts