iPhone 5 update fixes Verizon cellular data drain
The problem caused users to be docked for data when the iPhone was connected to Wi-Fi
IDG News Service - Apple released on Sunday an update that fixes a problem where the iPhone 5 draws data from the carrier Verizon despite being connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Apple's advisory said the scenario happens "under certain circumstances" but did not give more detail. The problem could potentially increase users' bills if they exceed the data allowance allowed by Verizon.
The update comes as people have complained of other issues concerning Apple's latest iteration of its popular smartphone, released Sept. 21, including Wi-Fi connectivity issues and that the device is easily scratched. The iPhone 5 has been also been mildly criticized for not enabling new technology such as NFC (Near Field Communications) but generally been praised as a solid product.
But Apple CEO Tim Cook apologized on Friday for Apple's mapping application, which replaced Google Maps in iOS 6. Users complained the application wasn't accurate and contained errors. Cook said the application would improve, and until then users could use Microsoft's Bing, Google Maps or Nokia's Waze.
Apple said Sept. 25 it had sold 5 million iPhone 5s, with more than 100 million installations of iOS 6.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!