Industry watcher: Network infrastructure market overdue for venture capital infusion
Network World - Venture capitalists have pumped oodles of money in recent years into startups that exploit telecom networks and wireless infrastructure, but now it might be time for infrastructure startups themselves to start attracting more funding, according to industry watcher Ovum.
Ovum reports that VC funding of telecom infrastructure startups has fallen from $796 million in 2009 to about a third of that over the period of Q3 2011-Q2 2012, while money has poured into mobile, social and over-the-top (of wireless network) startups and overall venture funding has increased as well. Citing data from the recent PWC/NVCA MoneyTree Report, Ovum points out that the networking and equipment share of total VC investments shrank to just 1% for the past four quarters (Q3 2011-Q2 2012), down from about 10% in 2003.
ADVICE: 5 tips for locking in VC funding
STARTUPS: 12 hot cloud computing startups to watch
But Ovum Principal Analyst Matt Walker says carriers and enterprises need to keep bolstering their networks to support all the new software and services, and without an infusion of fresh infrastructure companies, they will become beholden to a dwindling number of powerful players (the Ciscos and Huaweis of the world). Recent IPO activity (Nimble Storage, for example) and M&A transactions in the infrastructure market, including VMware's $1.26 billion buyout of software-defined networking player Nicira, could be indicators that investments in such infrastructure companies can pay off for VCs.
"With a weak start-up pipeline, the [telecom] industry relies more on incumbent vendors to generate new ideas and products. Their budgets are bigger, but VCs are often better at funding 'game changing' ideas ignored by established vendors," Walker says in a statement. "Incumbent vendors' internal R&D budgets are now nearly 90 times larger than VC investments in the sector, up from 30 times two years ago. This narrows options for service providers, who rely on both large and small vendors for innovation. The big vendors also need access to the start-up pipeline, to fill in gaps in their own portfolios through partnership and M&A."
Ovum notes that service providers themselves are getting more active in seeding startups, citing Deutsche Telekom's move earlier this month to revamp its T-Venture unit.
Read more about data center in Network World's Data Center section.
This pilot fish has a project to install some new servers for a rapidly expanding bank. But the hardest part of the job turns out to be getting the IT manager to sign a Delivery and Acceptance document at the end.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Global Bank Improves Quality of Application Development
- Read how this financial institution centralized build assets, cut development time in half and added additional security controls.
- Automating Cost Transparency
- By making all of the costs of running IT transparent, IT can change the way business units consume IT resources, drive down total...
- Cisco Case Study
- Before Cisco could effectively manage the business of IT, the company needed to improve the way it accounted for the cost and performance...
- IT Financial Metrics Primer
- This Executive Brief details financial and non-financial metrics that IT financial managers must use to foster conversations with business stakeholders.
- Finance - Interactive eGuide
- In this e-Guide, Computerworld, IDG News Service and IT World examine software-defined data centers, customer experience tools, and security issues that are top... All Financial IT White Papers
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- All Financial IT Webcasts