Pirate Bay founder's detention extended amid tax hack probe
Swedish court orders that Gottfrid Svartholm Warg be detained two more weeks while prosecutors decide whether to charge him
IDG News Service - Pirate Bay founder Gottfrid Svartholm Warg will remain in detention for at least two more weeks while Swedish prosecutors investigate his alleged involvement in the hacking of IT company Logica, a Swedish court ruled Friday.
Svartholm Warg was arrested in Cambodia on Aug. 30 and subsequently deported to Sweden. Swedish authorities arrested him on Sept. 11 on suspicion of hacking, although he has not been charged. On Sept. 14 a court ordered that he be detained for another two weeks.
This week Henrik Olin, the public prosecutor dealing with the case, asked the court to extend Svartholm Warg's detention.
"The court decided to prolong the detention for another two-week period," Olin said Friday on leaving the courtroom.
"The investigation is ongoing," he said, referring to the theft of sensitive tax records for people with protected identities from a government IT contractor, Logica.
"He is suspected of this breach of data security. The court ruled that there is a risk he could affect the evidence in the investigation, and that there is a risk he could be committing crimes again," he said.
When Svartholm Warg was arrested in Cambodia, many thought it was because of his role in creating the Pirate Bay. He and the other founders of the popular torrent-tracking site were found guilty of offenses relating to copyright infringement, fined and sentenced to prison. Svartholm Warg did not attend an appeal hearing, pleading illness, and moved to Cambodia, a country with which Sweden does not have an extradition treaty.
No charges have yet been made against him in the Logica case, Olin said.
"According to the Swedish system, when the preliminary investigation is finished, I as prosecutor will decide whether to prosecute him. [...] In the Swedish system it is quite usual for people to be detained on this legal ground, and it gives me the possibility to prevent him from having contact with other people."
Olin said it is unlikely that he will have completed his preliminary investigation within the next two weeks, and so expects to return to the court to ask for another extension to Svartholm Warg's detention.
Peter Sayer covers open source software, European intellectual property legislation and general technology breaking news for IDG News Service. Send comments and news tips to Peter at email@example.com.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts