IBM extends incentive programs to service partners
IBM MSP partners can get loans, education and marketing help from the company
IDG News Service - IBM has launched a new set of incentives and aids to help its service partners make better use of the company's cloud services and products.
IBM's managed service provider (MSP) partners can now get financing, marketing assistance and technical expertise when pursuing clients, according to the company.
"We're seeing a dramatic shift in how customers are buying solutions, one that is driven through the MSP channel," said Mike McClurg, IBM vice president of global sales and strategy. As a result, IBM wants to help MSPs connect with more customers and in turn connect those customers with IBM's offerings.
For the past few years, IBM has pursued business in the growing SMB (small and medium-sized) market chiefly through partners. Integrators and regional resellers can repackage IBM services and technologies for specific market verticals and geographic areas.
This new set of packages extends this approach to MSPs, a growing subset of IBM partners. "We're seeing in the midmarket space a rapid explosion of buying and renting of managed services. It gives midmarket customers access to skills they might not have, to applications they might not be able to get" otherwise, McClurg said.
To date, IBM has partnered with more than 1,400 MSPs. MSPs can sell IBM SmartCloud services under their own brand names, and, through this program, they can make use of some of IBM's newer offerings, including IBM SmartCloud services and the company's PureSystems packages, introduced earlier this year.
IBM sees a large market for smaller organizations, such as smaller hospitals, that want to use cloud services but lack the internal expertise to do so. MSPs can provide the expertise and they can bill on a pay-as-you-go model, another benefit for smaller organizations.
This new package of incentives aims to alleviate some of the challenges MSPs face, including obtaining technical expertise, improving marketing efforts and reducing financial concerns.
For this initiative, IBM is launching four new "Global Centers of Excellence," according to a company announcement. Located in New York City, Shanghai, Tokyo and Ehningen, Germany, these facilities will provide consultations, training and hands-on experience on IBM systems tailored specifically to MSPs, who will also have access to the 40 IBM Innovation Centers in 33 countries around the world, which provide more general technical expertise.
On the marketing side, IBM pledged to help MSPs with their marketing efforts, providing tutelage on how to use social media and develop marketing plans. MSPs can also use IBM analysis services to identify new customers. The company is also setting up an MSP partner director, so MSPs can find other partners to collaborate on projects. IBM is devoting part of its $100 million annual marketing budget to these projects.
The company will further offer MSPs financing options through its IBM Global Financing arm, allowing them to obtain IBM systems, software and services under 12-month payment plans with no interest. Payments for PureSystems purchases can be deferred up to 90 days.
- Cloud Computing eGuide In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read...
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- IDC: Eliminate Shortcomings in Your Cloud Architecture with Smarter Storage This white paper demonstrates how IBM Smarter Storage provides customers with an ideal, proven platform for cloud computing. IBM has a differentiated storage...
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts