Google Maps dives underwater for panoramic ocean views
Users can feel like ocean divers, trailing sea turtles and exploring a coral reef
Computerworld - Want to follow a sea turtle swimming amid a school of fish near the Great Barrier Reef? Now you can get a sense of it without getting your feet wet.
Google on Tuesday announced that the company has added its first underwater panoramic images to Google Maps. The service now offers 360-degree views of what are generally considered to be six of the world's most beautiful underwater vistas, including Apo Island in the Philippines and the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.
The new panoramic underwater views are accessible in the Street View feature of Google Maps.
"With these vibrant and stunning photos you don't have to be a scuba diver -- or even know how to swim -- to explore and experience six of the ocean's most incredible living coral reefs," wrote Brian McClendon, vice president of Google Maps and Earth, in a blog post. "Now, anyone can become the next virtual Jacques Cousteau and dive with sea turtles, fish and manta rays in Australia, the Philippines and Hawaii."
McClendon said Google teamed up with the Catlin Seaview Survey, program based in Australia that is exploring the world's ocean reefs.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts