Microsoft drills down on archiving capabilities of new Exchange
The company says that Exchange 2013 and the new version of Exchange Online simplify e-discovery, compliance and retention
IDG News Service - New and improved archiving capabilities in Exchange 2013 make it easier for IT administrators to store and manage messages, and improve accessibility for end users, Microsoft said Tuesday at its Exchange Conference in Orlando.
The new version of Exchange has been re-architected for "In-Place Archiving" so that a primary email server can also be used for data capture retention, compliance and e-discovery, Microsoft said in a blog post.
This applies to both the on-premises edition, Exchange 2013, and the cloud-hosted edition, Exchange Online. Both are currently in beta testing. Providing archiving, compliance and e-discovery capabilities in cloud-hosted email servers is key for vendors like Microsoft, as CIOs become increasingly comfortable with shifting away from on-premises systems.
In addition to simplifying the lives of Exchange administrators and end users, this can also broaden the scope of data that is archived beyond messages to also include other Exchange elements, like calendar entries, contacts and tasks, according to Microsoft.
The new architecture also opens the door for non-IT professionals such as human resources staffers to perform certain tasks that Microsoft says will be simpler to carry out using Exchange 2013, such as flagging data that should be archived and not modified.
It is also possible for users to do e-discovery across on-premises Exchange 2013 and cloud-hosted Exchange Online servers via a Web-based interface or using the existing command-line PowerShell feature.
Exchange's on-premises and online editions compete with a variety of rivals, including IBM's Notes-Domino, VMware's Zimbra and Google's Apps.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts