App-controlled spy tank helps on secret missions
Brookstone's fun, durable toy has some problems being controlled by Android devices, though
IDG News Service - Brookstone's newest wireless spy tank can be controlled by both Android and iOS devices and has more capabilities than its predecessor like the ability to record video, tilt its camera up and down, and speak and listen to subjects during surveillance.
To see the Rover 2.0 in action, including video recorded from it, watch my report on YouTube.
The Rover 2.0 creates its own wireless network over which streams live video to the tablet or smartphone controlling it. Users can control the spy tank up to about 100 feet away. They can also record video and snap photos, which can be shared to social networks from the spy tank's app. Both video and photos are captured at a low 320-by-240 pixels with significant color problems. During our tests when I was wearing blue pants, they showed up purple on the video.
It was also difficult to control the rover using an Android smartphone. I noticed that there was a one to two second lag in commands from the smartphone, which caused me to run the rover into a few walls. During testing with an iPad, there were no connectivity or control issues.
The biggest improvement over its predecessor is the option to listen and talk through the bot. If you press a button on the app you can speak through the bot; press another button and you can listen. This was an obvious omission in the first rover, but a welcome addition in the new model. Being able to remotely tilt the camera up and down is also a new, welcome feature.
The Rover 2.0 is available for preorder on Brookstone.com and will start shipping Oct. 1, for US$150.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts