App-controlled spy tank helps on secret missions
Brookstone's fun, durable toy has some problems being controlled by Android devices, though
IDG News Service - Brookstone's newest wireless spy tank can be controlled by both Android and iOS devices and has more capabilities than its predecessor like the ability to record video, tilt its camera up and down, and speak and listen to subjects during surveillance.
To see the Rover 2.0 in action, including video recorded from it, watch my report on YouTube.
The Rover 2.0 creates its own wireless network over which streams live video to the tablet or smartphone controlling it. Users can control the spy tank up to about 100 feet away. They can also record video and snap photos, which can be shared to social networks from the spy tank's app. Both video and photos are captured at a low 320-by-240 pixels with significant color problems. During our tests when I was wearing blue pants, they showed up purple on the video.
It was also difficult to control the rover using an Android smartphone. I noticed that there was a one to two second lag in commands from the smartphone, which caused me to run the rover into a few walls. During testing with an iPad, there were no connectivity or control issues.
The biggest improvement over its predecessor is the option to listen and talk through the bot. If you press a button on the app you can speak through the bot; press another button and you can listen. This was an obvious omission in the first rover, but a welcome addition in the new model. Being able to remotely tilt the camera up and down is also a new, welcome feature.
The Rover 2.0 is available for preorder on Brookstone.com and will start shipping Oct. 1, for US$150.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts