Nook Video set for fall premiere
Updated Nook Tablets also expected soon from Barnes & Noble
Computerworld - Barnes & Noble Tuesday announced that Nook Video will premiere this fall in the U.S. and UK. The service will offer access to movies and TV shows for streaming and download.
In a statement, the bookseller said the videos will be stored securely in the Nook Cloud. The content will be available on the Nook Tablet and non-Nook devices via free Nook video apps that will be launched soon, it said.
The announcement underscores the importance of video content to users of an array of new tablet devices.
Barnes & Noble said its video content will be available across devices such as TVs and smartphones and will interoperate with digital video collections, such as UltraViolet.
A Netflix app already is a available in the Nook app store.
Barnes & Noble said the videos initially will come from HBO, Sony Pictures, STARZ, Viacom and Warner Brothers Entertainment. Some Disney movies will be available.
The maker of the Nook tablet didn't reveal any details about plans to unveil a rumored second-generation Nook device. Barnes & Noble's tablet is considered a strong competitor with Amazon's new Kindle Fire HD and Google's Nexus 7 tablets.
Amazon already has an instant video service which can be linked to its Amazon Prime service that costs $79 a year for access to some videos.
Barnes & Noble didn't offer pricing for the video content, but officials said videos would be priced individually and won't be distributed under a subscription service.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts