Nook Video set for fall premiere
Updated Nook Tablets also expected soon from Barnes & Noble
Computerworld - Barnes & Noble Tuesday announced that Nook Video will premiere this fall in the U.S. and UK. The service will offer access to movies and TV shows for streaming and download.
In a statement, the bookseller said the videos will be stored securely in the Nook Cloud. The content will be available on the Nook Tablet and non-Nook devices via free Nook video apps that will be launched soon, it said.
The announcement underscores the importance of video content to users of an array of new tablet devices.
Barnes & Noble said its video content will be available across devices such as TVs and smartphones and will interoperate with digital video collections, such as UltraViolet.
A Netflix app already is a available in the Nook app store.
Barnes & Noble said the videos initially will come from HBO, Sony Pictures, STARZ, Viacom and Warner Brothers Entertainment. Some Disney movies will be available.
The maker of the Nook tablet didn't reveal any details about plans to unveil a rumored second-generation Nook device. Barnes & Noble's tablet is considered a strong competitor with Amazon's new Kindle Fire HD and Google's Nexus 7 tablets.
Amazon already has an instant video service which can be linked to its Amazon Prime service that costs $79 a year for access to some videos.
Barnes & Noble didn't offer pricing for the video content, but officials said videos would be priced individually and won't be distributed under a subscription service.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts