Nook Video set for fall premiere
Updated Nook Tablets also expected soon from Barnes & Noble
Computerworld - Barnes & Noble Tuesday announced that Nook Video will premiere this fall in the U.S. and UK. The service will offer access to movies and TV shows for streaming and download.
In a statement, the bookseller said the videos will be stored securely in the Nook Cloud. The content will be available on the Nook Tablet and non-Nook devices via free Nook video apps that will be launched soon, it said.
The announcement underscores the importance of video content to users of an array of new tablet devices.
Barnes & Noble said its video content will be available across devices such as TVs and smartphones and will interoperate with digital video collections, such as UltraViolet.
A Netflix app already is a available in the Nook app store.
Barnes & Noble said the videos initially will come from HBO, Sony Pictures, STARZ, Viacom and Warner Brothers Entertainment. Some Disney movies will be available.
The maker of the Nook tablet didn't reveal any details about plans to unveil a rumored second-generation Nook device. Barnes & Noble's tablet is considered a strong competitor with Amazon's new Kindle Fire HD and Google's Nexus 7 tablets.
Amazon already has an instant video service which can be linked to its Amazon Prime service that costs $79 a year for access to some videos.
Barnes & Noble didn't offer pricing for the video content, but officials said videos would be priced individually and won't be distributed under a subscription service.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts