Apple warns iCloud users of looming storage loss
On Sunday, former MobileMe users will lose the complimentary 20GB Apple gave them earlier
Computerworld - Apple on Monday began reminding some iCloud users that they will soon lose the 20GB of free storage they'd received when they migrated from MobileMe.
The company has notified iCloud customers via email that the 20GB will expire Sunday, Sept. 30.
The move only affects users who had previously paid for MobileMe, the synchronization and storage predecessor to iCloud. While iCloud is free to all Mac and iOS device owners, MobileMe cost $99 annually for, among other things, 20GB of online storage space.
During the switch from MobileMe to iCloud -- a process that started in 2011 and ended June 30, 2012 -- Apple offered an additional 20GB of storage to MobileMe subscribers as a way to temporarily tide them over. The 20GB was atop the standard 5GB all iCloud users received as part of the free package.
Now Apple is taking away the 20GB, telling customers that to keep it they must fork over $40 a year.
"Your iCloud storage will be reduced to 5GB on 09/30/2012," Apple's email stated. "However, you are currently using more than 5GB. Unless you take action before your downgrade takes effect, backups to iCloud will stop, and apps will no longer be able to save documents to iCloud."
Apple instructed customers to either free up enough storage space to drop under 5GB, or pay up to keep the extra 20GB.
The end of the free storage ride had originally been set for June 30, 2012 -- the date MobileMe went dark -- but in May Apple extended the deal by three months.
Users who want to retain the 20GB must pay $40 per year to upgrade (to 25GB total; the free 5GB plus the 20GB). Apple also offers 10GB additional for $20 and 50GB for $100.
Apple's 20GB and 50GB prices are four times what Microsoft charges for extra Skydrive storage. Skydrive allots 7GB of free storage, then charges $10 per year for 20GB more and $25 for an additional 50GB. Microsoft also has a 100GB plan priced at $50.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apple hands stock worth $12.1M to top execs in retention deal
- Hands on: Apple's Mac Pro is the fastest Mac ever
- Apple CFO to retire in September after he cashes in $53M stock award
- Apple's CarPlay to spark mobile apps war in your car
- Apple retires Snow Leopard from support, leaves 1 in 5 Macs vulnerable to attacks
- Apple patches critical 'gotofail' bug with Mavericks update
- Why Apple needs a $700 MacBook Air
- Apple takes top spot in brand value computation
- Apple gets a patent for health-monitoring ear buds
- Apple shifts to hardware-first TV strategy with revamped set-top box
Read more about Cloud Storage in Computerworld's Cloud Storage Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Review: Box beats Dropbox - and all the rest - for business Box trumps Dropbox, Engyte, Citrix ShareFile, EMC Syncplicity, and OwnCloud with rich mix of file sync, file sharing, user management, deep reporting and...
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Cloud Storage White Papers |