SAP bundles analytic apps with IQ database
The four new product offerings have "very attractive" pricing
IDG News Service - SAP on Monday announced a new family of products that marry its Business Objects BI (business intelligence) software with the Sybase IQ analytic database and include specialized business content for use by various industries.
The four offerings include BI suite, analytics edition; BI platform, analytics edition; Edge analytics edition; and Crystal Server, analytics edition. The latter two are mostly aimed at small and medium-size companies.
Along with IQ, the bundles also include SAP Data Integrator for bringing information into the system. In both cases, customers get a runtime-only license, restricting IQ and Data Integrator's use to the analytic applications in the bundle.
Overall, however, SAP has come up with "very attractive" pricing for the four editions, with a roughly 20% "uplift" for IQ and data integrator added to the base price of the analytics software. said Paul Clark, senior director of analytics marketing. Specific figures weren't available.
IQ is typically licensed on a per-core basis, said Tom Traubitz, director of solution marketing. While the runtime license has no restrictions on data storage or the number of users, customers of the two lower-end packages are limited to 16 cores, while the two higher-end options include 32 cores, he said.
The downloadable business content is also included in the packages' cost and it will "help customers get a jump-start" using the software, according to Clark.
"The way it works is we look at a business use case, based on a particular function in particular industry," such as staff management in health care, Clark said. Then SAP creates content, such as reports and dashboards, to fit the scenario, he added.
While the analytics packages being sold for on-premises use, SAP partners will probably offer hosted versions, according to Clark.
From a strategic standpoint, the new bundles suggest that SAP remains committed to IQ, which was gained through the 2010 acquisition of Sybase, even as its homegrown HANA in-memory database becomes the company's focal point for both analytic and transaction processing workloads.
They also give risk-averse customers an avenue for tackling more complex data analysis jobs, rather than adopt HANA, which is still a fairly new product.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- 13 Reasons to Move to Adobe Creative Cloud One of the big advantages Adobe Creative Cloud for teams offers over Adobe Creative Suite 6 perpetual software is the ability to continually...
- Live Webcast Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!