SAP bundles analytic apps with IQ database
The four new product offerings have "very attractive" pricing
IDG News Service - SAP on Monday announced a new family of products that marry its Business Objects BI (business intelligence) software with the Sybase IQ analytic database and include specialized business content for use by various industries.
The four offerings include BI suite, analytics edition; BI platform, analytics edition; Edge analytics edition; and Crystal Server, analytics edition. The latter two are mostly aimed at small and medium-size companies.
Along with IQ, the bundles also include SAP Data Integrator for bringing information into the system. In both cases, customers get a runtime-only license, restricting IQ and Data Integrator's use to the analytic applications in the bundle.
Overall, however, SAP has come up with "very attractive" pricing for the four editions, with a roughly 20% "uplift" for IQ and data integrator added to the base price of the analytics software. said Paul Clark, senior director of analytics marketing. Specific figures weren't available.
IQ is typically licensed on a per-core basis, said Tom Traubitz, director of solution marketing. While the runtime license has no restrictions on data storage or the number of users, customers of the two lower-end packages are limited to 16 cores, while the two higher-end options include 32 cores, he said.
The downloadable business content is also included in the packages' cost and it will "help customers get a jump-start" using the software, according to Clark.
"The way it works is we look at a business use case, based on a particular function in particular industry," such as staff management in health care, Clark said. Then SAP creates content, such as reports and dashboards, to fit the scenario, he added.
While the analytics packages being sold for on-premises use, SAP partners will probably offer hosted versions, according to Clark.
From a strategic standpoint, the new bundles suggest that SAP remains committed to IQ, which was gained through the 2010 acquisition of Sybase, even as its homegrown HANA in-memory database becomes the company's focal point for both analytic and transaction processing workloads.
They also give risk-averse customers an avenue for tackling more complex data analysis jobs, rather than adopt HANA, which is still a fairly new product.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts