Troubled Apple Maps app sparks attack ad from Google's Motorola
New ad joins a chorus of satirical criticism over problematic iOS 6 maps app
Computerworld - Motorola Mobility, a division of Google, has created an ad that mocks the troubled Apple Maps application in iOS 6.
iOS 6, which runs on the new iPhone 5, was rolled out last Wednesday to generally positive reviews. One notable trouble spot, however, has been the Maps application, which replaces an earlier similar app from Google.
Motorola has now joined a fray begun by other smartphone makers such as Samsung and Nokia, which have used satirical video ads to take on Apple and the iPhone 5.
In its ad, first posted Friday on Google +, Motorola compares Google Maps on its Droid Razr M side-by-side with Apple's iOS 6 maps app on an iPhone 5, labeling Apple's as "#iLost."
"Looking for 315 E 15th in Manhattan?" the ad asks. "Google Maps on Droid Razr M will get your there and not #iLost in Brooklyn."
Other examples of problems with Apple Maps have included an extra airfield for Dublin, problems with various place names, and grainy images on maps.
An Apple spokeswoman told AllThingsD on Thursday that the map service was launched with the knowledge that "it is a major initiative and we are just getting started with it.... We are continually improving it and as is a cloud-based solution, the more people use it, the better it will get.... We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better."
Apple's reaction to the criticism and its Maps app troubles seems to have only emboldened various critics as well as direct competitors.
A number of short satiric and sometimes crude videos on a Google+ section for #iLost includes one with a car smashing through a crowd of bicyclists, apparently on a path recommended by Apple Maps. Another post shows that Apple Maps renders the Eiffel Tower flattened to the ground in two dimensions.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carmakers put Apple's CarPlay in the slow lane
- Timeline: How Apple's iOS gained enterprise cred
- China calls the iPhone and iOS 7 threats to national security
- Dev interest in OS X Yosemite is 4X what it was for Mavericks in '13
- The Pangu jailbreak for iOS could turn into a sinister attack
- Apple nails Health timing as fitness app usage soars
- Developer demos iPad split-screen in photos, video
- Microsoft should grab Apple's 'Handoff' for Office
- Developer discovers split screen in iOS 8 code
- Apple opens up iOS, struts Mac-iPhone-iPad integration
Read more about iOS in Computerworld's iOS Topic Center.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts