Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung
If the court revisits the original award at Samsung's request, Apple also wants a review to find it's owed yet another $155 million as well
IDG News Service - A California jury may have awarded Apple more than US$1 billion in damages in late August when it triumphed over Samsung in a hard-fought case over smartphone and tablet patents, but the iPhone maker is coming back for more: late on Friday it asked for additional damages of $707 million.
The request includes an enhanced award of $535 million for willful violation of Apple's designs and patents, as well as about $172 million in supplemental damages based on the fact that the original damages were calculated on Samsung's sales through June 30. Apple wants the supplemental amount to cover the period from July 1 through the date when the case is resolved, which it estimated as December 31, 2012.
In its filing with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California Apple also said that if the court decides to review the damage award based on a challenge from Samsung, it also wants an additional $155.8 million for five infringing products where the jury awarded less than the minimum amount calculated by Samsung's damages expert.
Apple also wants either a new trial or amended judgments finding that the iPad and iPad2 design is protected and is infringed by Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1, and that a wide range of Samsung phones infringe on Apple patents or trade dress.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts