Netfix to ditch data center, embrace cloud
Computerworld - Netflix no longer wants to run a data center to support its in-house IT services. Instead, it's shifting internal applications to Amazon's cloud and turning to software-as-a-service providers for other business systems.
Mike Kail, vice president of IT operations at Netflix, said he wants to move at least 95% of the company's corporate IT systems to the cloud.
The corporate IT operations are separate from the company's streaming video service, which already runs on Amazon's cloud.
At most, Kail says, he'll have two racks running 50 virtual servers. Such a setup would fit into a closet; it wouldn't require the data center Netflix has now, which runs 2,500 virtual servers. The goal is to finish the move within 18 months.
Kail said that using public cloud services means not paying for power and space, and not having to worry about hardware refreshes or operating system patches. Those are "time-consuming tasks that don't really add value," he said.
This project won't change the skills employees need to manage IT. "Unless you are a person that likes racking gear," Kail said, "you are still managing the same technology and services."
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Seattle Children's Accelerates Citrix Login Times by 500% with Cross-Tier Insight Seattle Children's is a leading research hospital with a large and growing Citrix XenDesktop deployment. With ExtraHop, the IT team at Seattle Children's...
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
Best Practices in Enterprise Data Governance
This paper explores the challenges organizations have today in implementing a data
governance program via an actual business case. It highlights SAS technology that
- 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Launching Your DG Program From failing to define data governance, to premature launch, or expecting too much from a sponsor, this white paper explains ten common mistakes...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!