Netfix to ditch data center, embrace cloud
Computerworld - Netflix no longer wants to run a data center to support its in-house IT services. Instead, it's shifting internal applications to Amazon's cloud and turning to software-as-a-service providers for other business systems.
Mike Kail, vice president of IT operations at Netflix, said he wants to move at least 95% of the company's corporate IT systems to the cloud.
The corporate IT operations are separate from the company's streaming video service, which already runs on Amazon's cloud.
At most, Kail says, he'll have two racks running 50 virtual servers. Such a setup would fit into a closet; it wouldn't require the data center Netflix has now, which runs 2,500 virtual servers. The goal is to finish the move within 18 months.
Kail said that using public cloud services means not paying for power and space, and not having to worry about hardware refreshes or operating system patches. Those are "time-consuming tasks that don't really add value," he said.
This project won't change the skills employees need to manage IT. "Unless you are a person that likes racking gear," Kail said, "you are still managing the same technology and services."
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- Workload Change: The 70 Percent of Your Business DevOps Forgot Adding WLA early in the development process ensures that the benefits of DevOps accrue for all applications, including your batch services. This paper...
- Oracle EBS and RAC Performance & Elasticity on Vblock™ Systems VCE Vblock™ Systems provide simple, low-risk solutions for migrating from a physical to virtual environment.
- Backup and Recovery of Oracle EBS on VCE Vblock™ Systems This solution architecture describes the key features and benefits of backup and recovery in the virtualized Oracle EBS on Vblock Systems with EMC...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!