Update: As expected, Apple delivers iOS 6
The new mobile OS is available over the air or through iTunes
Computerworld - Apple followed through on past practice today and released iOS 6, the latest version of its mobile OS for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, today at 1 p.m. ET.
Earlier in the day on Twitter, an Australian identified as James Edward Minaj had posted purported release times for iOS around the world.
CNET first reported on Minaj's timetable earlier today.
According to Minaj and others, iOS 6 was slated to hit Apple's servers at 10 a.m. PT, 1 p.m. ET.
That time frame fit with Apple's previous practice.
Last year, Apple launched iOS 5 on Oct. 12 at 1 p.m. ET.
Although Apple had not officially announced the timing of today's iOS 6 release -- it did not do that in the past, either -- it had promised last week to deliver the mobile operating system today.
That, too, fit with past practice: Last year, it offered iOS 5 upgrades to current iPhone owners two days before the newest model was slated to start selling in its retail stores and pre-orders were to reach buyers.
Apple introduced iOS 6 in June at its annual developers conference, where Scott Forstall, Apple's top executive for iOS development, highlighted a handful of new features, including Apple's own mapping technology, an enhanced version of the Siri voice-activated digital assistant, and Passbook, a boarding pass and ticket manager.
iOS 6 can be installed on the iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S; the iPad 2 and this year's third-generation iPad; and the fourth-generation iPod Touch.
The iPhone 5 and fifth-generation iPod Touch, which is also currently available for pre-order, will have iOS 6 pre-installed.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Heartbleed flaw affects mobile apps, too
- Microsoft gets strategic with its Enterprise Mobility Suite
- Apple slates WWDC for June 2-6, sets up ticket lottery
- Nadella to Cook on Office revenue sharing: Drop dead
- Update: Microsoft unveils Office for iPad
- iOS tops Android for Web browsing in U.S. and other developed nations
- Apple ships iOS 7.1 with CarPlay support, home screen crash fix
- Apple to fix iOS 7 crash bug
- Apple rang up $10B in app sales in 2013
- Balky browsers tick off tablet owners
Read more about iOS in Computerworld's iOS Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All iOS White Papers |
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!