The header photo is different from your Twitter profile picture, which appears inline when you send a tweet. Your profile picture is an icon; the header photo is a background image.
Once you upload a header photo, that image is visible to others accessing your Twitter page via iPad, iPhone or Android apps as well as via Twitter.com.
To upload a header photo to your Twitter page, navigate to the gear icon in the top-right of your Twitter.com page and select "Edit profile."
Then, from the menu on the left, click "Design" and scroll to the bottom. Under "Customize your own," you'll notice that your header defaults to a gray box. Here, you can upload your own image, but be sure that the minimum dimensions are 1252x626 and that it has a file size smaller than 5MB.
Your changes will appear instantly, but they're not saved until you click "Save changes."
In addition to the new profiles, photo streams now appear below your most recent tweets on iPhone, Android and iPad apps. To view them, swipe through the stream and tap the thumbnail to view them in full-screen.
Kristin Burnham covers consumer technology, social networking and enterprise collaboration for CIO.com. Follow Kristin on Twitter @kmburnham. Follow everything from CIO.com on Twitter @CIOonline and on Facebook. Email Kristin at email@example.com
Read more about consumer in CIO's Consumer Drilldown.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!