Box claims 10-fold download boost with new Accelerator
On average, the network optimization service allows uploads at 7MB/sec
Computerworld - Business cloud storage provider Box announced the launch of Accelerator, a network optimization service that it said can increase the speed of uploads and downloads over its existing service by up to 10 times.
On average, file uploads to Box Accelerator were processed at 7MB/sec., the company said.
In order to increase performance, Box opened nine new end-point locations around the world. International users near one of the network endpoints should see the biggest speed increases when uploading content to Box. The new offices are located in Sao Paulo, Amsterdam, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore and Sydney.
In the U.S., Box also added Accelerator locations in the Portland, Ore., Chicago and New York.
"We've introduced an enterprise architecture that scales with the pace of today's business and addresses the explosive growth of content creation and sharing," Aaron Levie, co-founder and CEO of Box said in a statement. "Box Accelerator provides the fastest, most secure channel to connect businesses with their content in the cloud."
Along with its new locations, Box Accelerator uses intelligent routing technology that analyzes user traffic based on location, operating system and browser preferences.
Box said all data saved to its cloud service is also encrypted throughout transit.
Box Accelerator is available today, at no cost, for all Box business and enterprise customers. The service supports file uploads to the Box web application now and will be extended to other features of Box in the future.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Cloud Storage in Computerworld's Cloud Storage Topic Center.
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Cloud Backup IT departments are embracing cloud backup, but there's a lot you need to know before choosing a service provider. Learn all the critical...
- Selecting the Optimal Path to Private Cloud Explore three key Cloud computing models-integrated infrastructure systems, reference architectures, and "build your own" solutions.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Pivotal CF: The Journey to Great Software Begins Here The concept of PaaS is not new, but a new class is emerging. This second generation of hybrid PaaS allows technologists to have...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Cloud Storage White Papers | Webcasts