Trade commission to investigate Motorola patent complaint against Apple
Motorola accuses Apple devices of infringing patents related to email notifications, media players and location reminders
IDG News Service - The U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC) has voted to move forward with an investigation of alleged infringement of Motorola Mobility patents by Apple, the agency announced Tuesday.
Motorola, in an August complaint filed at the USITC, accused Apple devices, including the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, of infringing patents related to email notifications, location reminders and media players.
Motorola has asked the USITC to bar Apple from importing those devices into the U.S.
Apple and Motorola, owned by Google, have been engaged in a wide-scale patent dispute in recent months. The two companies separately appealed a June decision by Judge Richard Posner of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois to throw out a case involving standards-essential patents.
Apple has also asked the European Commission to intervene in its patent dispute with Motorola Mobility, leading to a legal battle in German courts.
The USITC will assign the case to an administrative law judge, who will schedule and hold an evidentiary hearing. The judge will determine whether Apple has violated section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930, and that decision can be reviewed by the commission.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts