Court grants stay in Google books case
The long-running case will be delayed while an appeals court decides whether a class-action lawsuit is appropriate
IDG News Service - The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit has granted a stay in a 7-year-old copyright lawsuit filed by the Authors Guild over the Google Books scanning project.
On Monday, Circuit Judge Raymond Lohier Jr. granted Google's request for a stay in district court while the appeals court reviews Judge Denny Chin's decision to grant class-action status to the authors. Chin, now on the appeals court, allowed the class-action lawsuit to move forward last May.
The Authors Guild filed the lawsuit in 2005. The group argues that Google's book-scanning project has hurt millions of authors whose works have been digitized.
The Authors Guild sought class-certification status for its case in order to represent all copyright holders in the U.S whose books have been scanned by Google as part of its Library Project. Google has digitized more than 20 million books since the project started in 2004.
The Authors Guild consented to Google's request for a stay in the case.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is email@example.com.
- 6TB Oracle Ecommerce Stack Deployed on AWS in 7 Days A Fortune 1000 company was told that it would take more than 6 months to deploy their ecommerce stack on AWS. CloudVelocity deployed...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All E-business White Papers | Webcasts