Court grants stay in Google books case
The long-running case will be delayed while an appeals court decides whether a class-action lawsuit is appropriate
IDG News Service - The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit has granted a stay in a 7-year-old copyright lawsuit filed by the Authors Guild over the Google Books scanning project.
On Monday, Circuit Judge Raymond Lohier Jr. granted Google's request for a stay in district court while the appeals court reviews Judge Denny Chin's decision to grant class-action status to the authors. Chin, now on the appeals court, allowed the class-action lawsuit to move forward last May.
The Authors Guild filed the lawsuit in 2005. The group argues that Google's book-scanning project has hurt millions of authors whose works have been digitized.
The Authors Guild sought class-certification status for its case in order to represent all copyright holders in the U.S whose books have been scanned by Google as part of its Library Project. Google has digitized more than 20 million books since the project started in 2004.
The Authors Guild consented to Google's request for a stay in the case.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- EDI in China: Developing a Strategy for B2B Integration Success IBM solutions for EDI have helped companies across the globe securely connect and build partner communities.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Polycom Virtual Meeting Rooms Video The conference room is the hub for group collaboration. With Polycom, you can extend the productivity and efficiency benefits of face-to-face meetings beyond...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them. All E-business White Papers | Webcasts