Lenovo acquires Stoneware to expand cloud products
Stoneware is the maker of cloud products used in the education and government sectors
IDG News Service - Lenovo on Tuesday said it plans to acquire Stoneware, a small U.S.-based company specializing in cloud products for schools and governments, as part of the PC maker's strategy to bolster its cloud computing offerings.
While Lenovo did not disclose financial terms of the deal, it said it expects to complete the acquisition of the Indianapolis-based Stoneware by year's end.
Stoneware is the developer of a webNetwork, a platform designed to unify an organization's IT services, along with LanSchool, another cloud-based product that allows teachers to distribute and manage content over classroom PCs and devices.
Lenovo plans to use Stoneware's technology to improve the PC maker's cloud products, with a focus on providing secure content for multiple devices in education and government fields. It said it also plans to use the Stoneware acquisition to create more consumer-based cloud offerings over time.
The Chinese company is already the world's second-largest PC vendor and poised to surpass Hewlett-Packard to take the top spot, according to analysts. But it is also focused on other hot gadget areas, including tablets, smartphones and smart TVs. Like others in the tech industry, Lenovo's goal is to create better cloud-based services that will make it easy for users to unify and synch content across all the devices they own.
As part of the acquisition, all 67 of Stoneware's employees will join Lenovo.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Review: Box beats Dropbox - and all the rest - for business Box trumps Dropbox, Engyte, Citrix ShareFile, EMC Syncplicity, and OwnCloud with rich mix of file sync, file sharing, user management, deep reporting and...
- 3 Steps to Content Sharing and Collaboration ft. Forrester Research Consumer sync and share tools help people access and send personal files, but smart IT leaders know that businesses require more than just...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Info-Tech Research Group Vendor Landscape: Cloud File Sharing Box recommends this report for any growing business or company considering an investment in enterprise content collaboration and cloud file sharing.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts