Google blocks controversial movie trailer in Indonesia
But Google has said the video is clearly within its guidelines for other countries
IDG News Service - Google took down on Friday in Indonesia the controversial movie trailer that has sparked protests worldwide, adding the country to the short list of nations where the video can't be seen on YouTube.
The company received a valid request from the Indonesian authorities asking that the trailer be taken down, which casts the Prophet Muhammad in a deeply unflattering light. Google will remove content from YouTube if it receives a court order or a valid request from a government. It was unclear how Indonesia presented its position to the company.
Google's YouTube guidelines do not permit "hate speech," which it defines as speech "that attacks or demeans a group based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, and sexual orientation/gender identity."
The company has stuck by its guns, asserting that it is widely available elsewhere on the internet and it "is clearly within our guidelines and so will stay on YouTube." Google had only restricted viewing in three other countries: India, Libya and Egypt.
The authenticity of the trailer and its similarity to a movie called "Innocence of Muslims" has been questioned, as well as whether there is a movie by that name.
Last week, Google said the trailer was restricted in Libya and Egypt due to "the very sensitive situations in those countries." U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died last Tuesday after protesters stormed the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, while demonstrators also have converged at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo.
The low-budget 14-minute video has caused violent protests at U.S. embassies and consulates in Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen, Sudan, Libya, Algeria, Morocco and Pakistan.
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said on Thursday that the "United States had nothing to do with this movie," which according to some reports was filmed in the U.S. by a person whose identity has yet to be established.
"Our government does not and cannot stop individual citizens from expressing their views," Carney said according to a transcript. "Those of us who care about religious tolerance and who respect religious beliefs must not allow a tiny minority of people to provoke conflict between different religions, cultures, and countries."
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Logicalis eBook: SAP HANA: The Need for Speed Without timely business insights, organizations today can suffer logistical, manufacturing, and even financial disaster in a matter of minutes
- Neustar 2014 DDoS Attacks and Impact Report For the third consecutive year, Neustar surveyed hundreds of companies on distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. The survey reveals evidence that the...
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Live Webcast
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts