AccountEdge Basic offers true, hassle-free double-entry accounting
Macworld - Managing financial information is, by far, my least favorite part of being in business for myself. Dont get me wrong, I like the money, but time tracking, invoicing, bill collection, monthly statements, and expensesall a necessary part of the business processrequire far more attention than I want to give. Which is why its important for me to have the kind of financial business tools that make painful processes less painfulor ideally, painless.
Acclivitys entry-level AccountEdge Basic (Mac App Store link), which replaces the companys FirstEdge application, is a great tool for managing your business financial information, providing everything you and your accountant need to track your cash flow and keep tabs on your business financial health. As an entry-level business accounting application, AccountEdge Basic has a lot to offer, although it is missing features necessary for its niche.
All of Acclivitiys accounting products have a stripped-down feel that can, when compared to other business accounting applications, initially seem intimidating. AccountEdges flowchart interface has seen very little change for more than a decade, which makes it feel familiar, but it may also feel a bit dated. That said, it works. And weve all seen apps where so-called UI innovation has done more to hurt rather than enhance an application.
At its heart, AccountEdge Basic is a true double-entry accounting system, which may keep your accountant happy. Youll need at least a rudimentary understanding of basic double-entry accounting terms to avoid any confusion. This isnt to say that you need to be a CPA, but you will want to understand the differences between asset, liability, income, and expense accounts, and youll need to know this as soon as you start setting the program up. To that end Acclivity offers several useful documents, videos, and support options to help you get started. Once you get through the initial setup and gain an initial understanding of what youre doing with the application and why, AccountEdge Basic allows you to effortlessly create invoices and track your income and expenses.
AccountEdge Basic offers several new features and enhancements, the first of which is a binary that allows you to run the application on systems running Lion and Mountain Lion. There is also an easy upgrade path to the Pro version of AccountEdge, so if your business grows in ways that require the Pro featuressay, for example, simultaneous multi-user access to your company fileyou can do that with ease. AccountEdge Basic can process credit card transactions, and you can also tie it to and import data from an Enstore online Web store). You also have access to AccountEdges OfficeLink feature, a tool that allows you to take financial and customer data from AccountEdge and export it into a special set of Microsoft Excel and Word documents.
AccountEdge Basic also lets you sync data with the AccountEdge iOS apps when used in conjunction with a Dropbox account. Otherwise, most of the other improvements are minor tweaks to things that are under the covers, such as field sizes for email messages and notes, and better automatic matching of imported transaction data from your bank.
AccountEdge Basic has one major missing feature that significantly limits its usefulness and reveals a basic misunderstanding of the kinds of users who may need an accounting application such as AccountEdge Basic: Time tracking and billing. There are many small business users, myself included, who require a way to easily track the time they spend on a project and then quickly turn that tracked time into an invoice. AccountEdge Basic doesnt offer anything like this. For that youll need AccountEdge Pro, which comes with a premium price tag and includes a host of features unnecessary for the majority of smaller businesses.
AccountEdge Basic is an excellent business accounting application that offers true, hassle-free double-entry accounting. An easy upgrade path to AccountEdge Pro means that your accounting application can grow as your business does, but missing time tracking and billing options make it a non-starter for the kinds of businesses that may need this application most.
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
China says to Chiang Kai-shek all Bitcoins at the door.
China marches long and hard over internal financial institutions, proclaiming that Bitcoins "should not and cannot be used as a currency". The news sent Bitcoin exchanges into a dive like cormorants in the deep China Sea. But all is not lost -- or is it? Bitcoins have been bubbling back to the surface, or has China's stance drained all enthusiasm? In IT Blogwatch, fearless leaders and bloggers quote pearls of wisdom from the little red book of Bitcoin. Not to mention: Financial advice from Whiz and Ice...
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time
- This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price
- In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Hedge Your Bets
- This report explains how visibility and increased governance is key to reducing risk.
- In the Firing Line
- CEOs Are Increasingly Being Held Accountable; How susceptible is the CEO's reputation to poor performance across the project portfolio?
- The CISO's Guide To Virtualization Security
- This guide describes the security challenges within virtualized environments and shows how to apply the concepts of Forrester's Zero Trust Model of information... All Financial IT White Papers
- Live Webcast Research Report: The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Live Webcast The Freedom to Run Your Business Your Way Vendors are challenged to create flexible systems that customers can tailor to particular business strategies and industry needs. But the flexibility should not...
- Live Webcast The Business Value of Human Capital Management for Finance View now >>
- HR and Finance Were made for Each Other View now >>
- The Value of Human Capital for Finance Professionals View now >>
- The Business Value of Human Capital Management for Finance View now >>
- The Freedom to Run Your Business Your Way Vendors are challenged to create flexible systems that customers can tailor to particular business strategies and industry needs. But the flexibility should not...
- Research Report: The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- All Financial IT Webcasts
Computerworld's Best Places to Work in IT 2013 list featured Quicken Loans, Securian, Vanguard and other top finance organizations. Honorees say the distinction helps them recruit top talent and boost staff morale.
Want to join this elite group? Nominate your organization for our 2014 list.