Pakistan, other countries block controversial YouTube video
Google has also blocked the video in some countries
IDG News Service - Pakistan will block access within the country to a YouTube film trailer that mocks the Prophet Muhammad and sparked protests at U.S. embassies this week in Libya and Egypt earlier this week, and in Yemen on Thursday, a spokesman for the country's telecom regulator said Thursday.
The 14-minute film trailer, which portrays the Prophet Muhammad as a womanizer and killer, set off protests earlier this week in Libya and Egypt. U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed when that embassy in Benghazi was stormed by gunmen.
The authenticity of the full film, "Innocence of Muslims" has been called into question since the embassy protests began, but the trailer has continued to circulate on the Internet and by Thursday had 1.3 million views on YouTube.
"We have orders from the ministry of IT and communications to block whatever links are there on YouTube to this video clip," said the spokesman for the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority said.
Google has also decided to block the video in Libya and Egypt, even though it does not violate its guidelines, according to various reports.
The Afghanistan government also decided to block the video on Wednesday.
Google has often refused to remove content considered religiously and politically objectionable as long as it meets its guidelines. In India, for example, it and some other Internet companies have been sued and also criticized by the government for certain controversial religious content on its website.
Google now finds itself having to make a choice between Internet freedom and helping keep the peace, analysts said.
"This video -- which is widely available on the Web -- is clearly within our guidelines and so will stay on YouTube," Google said in a statement. "However, given the very difficult situation in Libya and Egypt we have temporarily restricted access in both countries. A Our hearts are with the families of the people murdered in yesterday's attack in Libya."
The company said it works hard to create a community everyone can enjoy that also enables people to express different opinions.A "This can be a challenge because what's OK in one country can be offensive elsewhere," it added.
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- Peer 1's Mission Critical Cloud: Your Cloud, Your Way Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud offers the ultimate in flexible customization of infrastructure, resources and support. All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts