University of California sues Facebook for patent infringement
Two of the patents used in the lawsuit are invalid, a Texas jury ruled
IDG News Service - The University of California is suing Facebook, alleging infringment on four patents that enable Internet browsers to host embedded interactive applications.
Facebook, along with Wal-Mart and the Walt Disney Company, were sued in cooperation with Eolas Technologies Incorporated, a company that was founded to assist the University of California in commercializing fundamental Web technologies, the company states on its site. The suit was filed Wednesday in the District Court for the Eastern District Court of Texas.
All four patents describe a "distributed hypermedia method" for "automatically invoking external application providing interaction and display of embedded objects within a hypermedia document.
The '906 patent for instance describes a "system allowing a user of a browser program on a computer connected to an open distributed hypermedia system to access and execute an embedded program object."
Another patent asserted against Facebook and the other companies is theA '985 patentA which is a continuation of the '906 patent. It allows websites to add fully-interactive embedded applications to their services.
Both the '906 and '985 patents were used by Eolas in a legal battle against other top Internet companies like Amazon.com and Google. In February, a Texas jury found that both Eolas patents were invalid.
Facebook directly and indirectly infringes on all four patents by presenting web pages and content interactively in the browser, Eolas said in the complaint. Eolas is seeking damages in a jury trial.
A Facebook representative was unable to comment on the lawsuit.
Loek covers all things tech for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Time-to-Market: The Need for Speed in the Automotive Industry Bringing new vehicles to market quickly has never been more challenging. To bring new models to market on-time and on budget, automakers need...
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- 3 Ways Clinicians Can Leverage a Patient Portal to Craft a Healthcare Community With a bevy of vendors offering patient portal solutions, it can be challenging for a hospital to know where to start. Fortunately, YourCareCommunity...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts