University of California sues Facebook for patent infringement
Two of the patents used in the lawsuit are invalid, a Texas jury ruled
IDG News Service - The University of California is suing Facebook, alleging infringment on four patents that enable Internet browsers to host embedded interactive applications.
Facebook, along with Wal-Mart and the Walt Disney Company, were sued in cooperation with Eolas Technologies Incorporated, a company that was founded to assist the University of California in commercializing fundamental Web technologies, the company states on its site. The suit was filed Wednesday in the District Court for the Eastern District Court of Texas.
All four patents describe a "distributed hypermedia method" for "automatically invoking external application providing interaction and display of embedded objects within a hypermedia document.
The '906 patent for instance describes a "system allowing a user of a browser program on a computer connected to an open distributed hypermedia system to access and execute an embedded program object."
Another patent asserted against Facebook and the other companies is theA '985 patentA which is a continuation of the '906 patent. It allows websites to add fully-interactive embedded applications to their services.
Both the '906 and '985 patents were used by Eolas in a legal battle against other top Internet companies like Amazon.com and Google. In February, a Texas jury found that both Eolas patents were invalid.
Facebook directly and indirectly infringes on all four patents by presenting web pages and content interactively in the browser, Eolas said in the complaint. Eolas is seeking damages in a jury trial.
A Facebook representative was unable to comment on the lawsuit.
Loek covers all things tech for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Accelerating Speed to Market in the Highly Competitive Automotive Industry This White Paper discusses how an Enterprise Project Portfolio Management solution optimizes project analysis, management, reporting and risk mitigation processes to accelerate new...
- Hedge Your Bets This report explains how visibility and increased governance is key to reducing risk.
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts