Permanent cybersecurity team established for EU institutions
CERT-EU will work with EU member states to reduce online attacks
IDG News Service - European institutions on Wednesday beefed up cybersecurity efforts by establishing a permanent Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-EU).
The decision was made following a one-year test for the team, which works closely with the internal IT security teams of the European Union institutions -- the European Commission, the Council, the European Parliament and the Committee of the Regions.
European Commission Vice President Maros Sefcovic said these E.U. institutions are frequently the target of information security incidents.
CERT-EU also benefits from support from the European Network and Information Security Agency (ENISA) and communicates with the community of CERTs and IT security companies in E.U. member states. According to the commission, they are "highly interconnected with each other, creating a community of experts fighting for the common cause of cyber security."
In March 2011, the commission was hit with a serious cyberattack, forcing staff to change their passwords and revert to using secure email only. A month later the Parliament was suffered a cyberattack, with similar results.
CERT-EU aims to reduce the impact of such attacks by detecting and correcting vulnerabilities and threats and taking preventative action to mitigate the risks.
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
If you think getting it right from day one is always what matters, you probably haven't been following technology too closely.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Mitigating DDoS Attacks with F5 Technology
- This document examines various DDoS attack methods and the application of specific ADC technologies to block attacks in the DDoS threat spectrum while...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum
- Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Defending Against Denial of Service Attacks
- By utilizing end-user interviews, this whitepaper explores a deeper understanding of DDoS defense plans and reveals the knowledge gaps around the Denial of...
- Strategic Solutions for Government IT
- This paper outlines why F5 is the optimum partner to help achieve the levels of security, performance and availability that are vital to...
- The Six Main Steps To Structured Analogy
- The role of structured analogy software is to automate the data extraction and processing work, provide visualization of the historical context forjudgments and... All Government IT White Papers
- Modernizing SAP environments with minimum risk - a path to Big Data Hear from top IDC analyst, Richard Villars, about the path you can start taking now to enable your organization to get the benefits...
- The Power of the Citrix Mobility Solution, XenMobile Does everything become a smartphone? Or does the smartphone begin to do everything? How can we afford to support BYOD? Rather, how can...
- BYOD Happens: How to Secure Mobility How to navigate the journey of securing mobility, including the BYOD corruption of IT, the top ten mobility strategies, and the mobility management...
- Fighting Fraud Videos: IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager Short videos about IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager (IIM) for Fraud. IIM optimizes the investigation of fraud for customers across many industries in both...
- IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager: Online Product Demo Intelligent Investigation Manager optimizes fraud investigation and analysis and it dynamically coordinates and reports on cases, provides analysis and visualization, and enables more...
- All Government IT Webcasts
Does your organization offer extensive benefits, cool perks, competitive salaries, opportunities for training and advancement? Then get it recognized!
Nominate your company or another deserving organization for Computerworld's 2014 Best Places to Work in IT list now through Dec. 12, 2013.