HP adds 2,000 to layoff list
SEC filing shows company is increasing reduction
Computerworld - Hewlett-Packard's layoff just got a little bigger.
The company, in a U.S. Security and Exchange filing, said it will eliminate 29,000 positions, an increase of 2,000.
In May, HP announced plans to cut 27,000 employees by 2014, or about 8% of its global workforce of 350,000.
The company expects to cut about 12,000 employees by the end of its fiscal year, Oct. 31, thanks to a better than expected acceptance rate of its early retirement offering.
HP last month took an $8 billion charge against its services division.
In its SEC filing, the company said it is "reducing our cost structure and realigning our workforce to create investment capacity, support growth initiatives and innovation, and facilitate more effective operations."
Major changes were announced beginning last March, when the firm said it was consolidating its personal computer and printing businesses.
Patrick Thibodeau covers cloud computing and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Staff Management in Computerworld's Staff Management Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IBM CHRO Study: Working Beyond Borders Based on the key capability gaps revealed in this study, we believe organizations should focus on three critical workforce imperatives: cultivating creative leaders,...
- Onboarding 2013 - A New Look at New Hires This study of 230 organizations, conducted in January and February 2013, will explore the best practices organizations use to leverage world-class technology to...
- Building a Smarter Workforce in Today's Global Economy In this report, we discuss how new approaches and a new science of human resources have emerged to develop a "smarter workforce," resetting...
- Recruit, Hire and Onboard the Right Talent In this report, we discuss strategies for how organizations can perform optimally and compete successfully by hiring and onboarding the best talent the...
- Creating a Smarter Workforce for Market Leadership IBM executives, clients and industry experts will discuss how leading companies are building a smarter workforce and why it is key to an...
- Secrets to Corporate Communications Success Watch this 60-minute webinar to discover how how other companies are successfully creating advocates out of their employees and help them to better... All Staff Management White Papers | Webcasts