HP adds 2,000 to layoff list
SEC filing shows company is increasing reduction
Computerworld - Hewlett-Packard's layoff just got a little bigger.
The company, in a U.S. Security and Exchange filing, said it will eliminate 29,000 positions, an increase of 2,000.
In May, HP announced plans to cut 27,000 employees by 2014, or about 8% of its global workforce of 350,000.
The company expects to cut about 12,000 employees by the end of its fiscal year, Oct. 31, thanks to a better than expected acceptance rate of its early retirement offering.
HP last month took an $8 billion charge against its services division.
In its SEC filing, the company said it is "reducing our cost structure and realigning our workforce to create investment capacity, support growth initiatives and innovation, and facilitate more effective operations."
Major changes were announced beginning last March, when the firm said it was consolidating its personal computer and printing businesses.
Patrick Thibodeau covers cloud computing and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Staff Management in Computerworld's Staff Management Topic Center.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- Ebook: Big Data Analytics For Dummies Big Data Analytics for Dummies is a valuable resource that addresses the practical dilemmas surrounding Big Data analytics and provides a step-by-step approach...
- A Guide To Preparing Your Data in Tableau Read "A Guide to Preparing Your Data for Tableau" and see how you can: Blend disparate data sources, then cleanse and enrich the...
- Meet Business Demands and Drive IT Innovation Your IT organization plays a strategic role in business operations. What new solutions and offerings could you create if you had an agile,...
- Geek's Guide to Presenting to Business People Watch this on-demand webinar with Paul Glen, author of "Leading Geeks," to learn how to effectively introduce technical initiatives to non-technical users (executives...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10... All Staff Management White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.