Bill Moggridge, design father of the laptop, dies at 69
Moggridge is responsible for designing the folding screen and clamshell design of the modern laptop.
PC World - Wiliam "Bill" Moggridge is the man responsible for designing the folding screen and clamshell design of the modern laptop.
The pioneering industrial designer died last weekend at the age of 69.
Moggridge invented the notion of (and coined the term) interaction design, the idea that software and hardware and other products should be designed to satisfy people's needs and desires.
He also co-founded the renowned interactive design firm IDEO, which continues to champion human-centered design. If there's a simple, easy principle that binds everything together, Moggridge said, it's probably about starting with the people.
In 1979, Moggridge began designing the Grid Compass for a startup firm called Grid Systems. It is widely considered to be the first real laptop.
Early portable computers were 26-pound sewing machine-sized beasts. The Grid Compass, however, was a breakthrough in mobile computing, with a 12-pound weight and unique fold-over display that made the device more compact. NASA and the military were the primary users of these $8,150 laptops. With its magnesium case, the durable Grid Compass even made it into space.
Laptops have been shrinking incredibly since the Grid Compass was released in 1982 but, in the three decades since then, the basic form hasn't changed much from Moggridge's original conception. That's the sign of a true design genius.
Moggridge won the United Kingdom's oldest design award, the Prince Philip Designers Prize, in 2010 for the Grid Compass. He was also named a Royal Designer for Industry and won the 2009 Cooper-Hewitt National Design Award for Lifetime Achievement.
From 2010 until his death from cancer on Sept. 8, the British designer was the director of the Smithsonian's Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum. The museum says Moggridge enhanced its profile as one of the world's leading authorities on the role of design in everyday life.
Described as tenacious, open, and empathetic by those who knew him, Bill Moggridge will long be remembered as a trailblazing designer and the father of the modern laptop.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts