Splunk Adds Visibility Into Virtual Environments
CIO - When transitioning workloads to virtual environments, one of the big drawbacks for data center administrators can be a loss of visibility.
When a problem occurs, it can be difficult to get a handle on details like which users are affected and by how much as well as the causal links between the user layer, the application layer and the underlying infrastructure. This is often because the hypervisor abstracts the data about the underlying hardware.
"Monitoring the dynamic nature of virtualization with tools designed for single-technology silos creates a significant challenge for administrators," says Dave Bartoletti, senior analyst at Forrester Research. "There is a growing need for solutions that provide cross-tier visibility to effectively troubleshoot, monitor and analyze data across silos and deliver real-time business insights and operational intelligence."
Splunk----provider of an engine that collects, indexes and analyzes massive volumes of machine-generated data----thinks big data is the answer. Splunk customer CloudShare, --a San Mateo, Calif.-based provider of pre-production cloud for dev and test, demos and POCs,-- sees a constant stream of data from its network/gateways/firewalls, backend, virtual machines, applications, web servers, databases and storage.
CloudShare's infrastructure as a service (IaaS) platform is designed to grant each customer----including a large number of Fortune 500 firms like HP, SAP, Microsoft and IBM----its own private multi-VM networked environment, including compute resources, networking, IP and preinstalled OS. During peak hours, its system performs about 500 VM resume/suspend operations an hour. Its VMware performance data alone comes in at about 2 million events per hour.
Getting a handle on that data, let alone correlating and analyzing it, is a tricky proposition. In its early days, Elad Gotfrid, CloudShare's director of IT, says the company got by with traditional monitoring tools. But it soon outgrew them.
Scaling Out With Splunk
"In the beginning, we used a traditional monitoring tool, which was good for a small scale," Gotfrid says. "Once you start to grow up, you see the scale doesn't allow you to use a traditional monitoring system anymore. You need higher visibility."
Gotfrid explains that CloudShare went with a new offering from Splunk----then in beta----called Splunk App for VMware, specifically designed for the VMware virtual layer. Originally, CloudShare brought in Splunk to monitor the performance of its virtual machines. But once the company saw the possibilities, it spread to every area of the business. He notes that CloudShare uses Splunk to collect performance stats, logs and events from the virtualization layer and then correlate that information with network, storage, OS and application events. This allows IT to contextualize infrastructure data and track business metrics such as usage and resource costs per trial and business user.
Dashboards link operational data from both physical and virtual sources, providing vital information to network operations, customer support, marketing, sales and R&D. CloudShare even leverages it to fight fraud by using network device and firewall information to create attack signatures that trigger automatic blocks or trigger alerts to network operations.
"At CloudShare, we think of Splunk as our eyes and ears," Gotfrid says. "Splunk software enables us to understand and oversee every aspect of our operations. The key asset we achieve from Splunk software is the ability to correlate business data with performance metrics. Compiling data about our customers and understanding which resources are being utilized allows us to understand and plan our capacity based on clear trends we identify."
Thor Olavsrud covers IT Security, Big Data, Open Source, Microsoft Tools and Servers for CIO.com. Follow Thor on Twitter @ThorOlavsrud. Follow everything from CIO.com on Twitter @CIOonline and on Facebook. Email Thor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more about applications in CIO's Applications Drilldown.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts