GoDaddy goes down, Anonymous takes credit
Many sites hosted or even registered with GoDaddy are inaccessible
IDG News Service - Popular domain name registrar and Web and email hosting provider GoDaddy is experiencing a severe outage, one that appears to have taken out not only its hosted services, but even those websites that have registered their domain names through GoDaddy.
In a YouTube video, secretive hacking group Anonymous has taken credit for the outage, claiming the move is a reaction to the company's support of the U.S. government's efforts "to censor and control the Internet," through its support of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).
GoDaddy has issued a short statement on Twitter, but has not yet given a reason for the outage.
"Status Alert: Hey, all. We're aware of the trouble people are having with our site. We're working on it," the alert stated.
Users started noticing the troubles in the late morning Eastern Time. Customers with GoDaddy-hosted email accounts and websites noticed the outage, as did at least some users who had registered their domain names with GoDaddy, even though their sites are actually hosted elsewhere. When pinged, websites registered with GoDaddy receive only a "ping request could not find host," message. The GoDaddy.com site itself went offline.
The reaction across the Internet has been immediate and caustic. "Hi @godaddy. Like everybody else hosted by you, our website is down. Please fix now thanksabunch bye," a Twitter message from CouponPuppet.com read.
GoDaddy claims to be the world's largest domain name registrar. The company reportedly manages more than 48 million domain names and serves more than 9.3 million customers.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!