GoDaddy goes down, Anonymous takes credit
Many sites hosted or even registered with GoDaddy are inaccessible
IDG News Service - Popular domain name registrar and Web and email hosting provider GoDaddy is experiencing a severe outage, one that appears to have taken out not only its hosted services, but even those websites that have registered their domain names through GoDaddy.
In a YouTube video, secretive hacking group Anonymous has taken credit for the outage, claiming the move is a reaction to the company's support of the U.S. government's efforts "to censor and control the Internet," through its support of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).
GoDaddy has issued a short statement on Twitter, but has not yet given a reason for the outage.
"Status Alert: Hey, all. We're aware of the trouble people are having with our site. We're working on it," the alert stated.
Users started noticing the troubles in the late morning Eastern Time. Customers with GoDaddy-hosted email accounts and websites noticed the outage, as did at least some users who had registered their domain names with GoDaddy, even though their sites are actually hosted elsewhere. When pinged, websites registered with GoDaddy receive only a "ping request could not find host," message. The GoDaddy.com site itself went offline.
The reaction across the Internet has been immediate and caustic. "Hi @godaddy. Like everybody else hosted by you, our website is down. Please fix now thanksabunch bye," a Twitter message from CouponPuppet.com read.
GoDaddy claims to be the world's largest domain name registrar. The company reportedly manages more than 48 million domain names and serves more than 9.3 million customers.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!