EU's Kroes says Europe's copyright laws are outdated
The laws hold back access to legal content and life-saving research, the digital agenda commissioner said
IDG News Service - Copyright laws are holding back potentially life-saving research, the European Union's top digital lawmaker said on Monday.
Digital Agenda Commissioner Neelie Kroes was speaking at the 2012 Intellectual Property and Innovation Summit in Brussels. She also said E.U. copyright laws are out of date and have failed to keep up with the rapid pace of changing technology.
The E.U.'s Copyright Directive was adopted in 2001, but is based on recommendations dating back to to 1998 -- long before Facebook and YouTube, as the Commissioner pointed out.
Kroes said she is concerned about how copyright laws could be holding back clinical research. Researchers could be making huge breakthroughs by manipulating existing data. "Data and text-mining techniques now lie behind a huge field of research," said Kroes. But research is not explicitly exempted from current copyright rules across the E.U. and Kroes wants to see the researchers "freed them from their current legal tangle."
She also expressed concern that copyright was hampering culture, as online licensing restrictions can make it impossible to buy music legally across an E.U. border.
This view was echoed by Paul Klimpel, former managing director of Deutsche Kinemathek. "Copyright is the highest barrier to the future of our cultural heritage." He added that the term of copyright protection is often longer than economic recovery possibilities, which doesn't make sense and leads to abandoned and worthless works.
Taking up the issue of the length of copyright terms, Bernt Hugenholz, professor of intellectual property at the Institute for Information Law in the University of Amsterdam, asked the commissioner if it is time to put copyright term reduction on the agenda.
Kroes said that she was tempted, but ultimately side-stepped the question.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
While it may seem a contradiction in terms, digital automation tools may make possible a new level of personalization in medical care.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Healthcare Firm Ramps Up for Claims Processing Spikes
- Huge increases in claims processing loads and stringent SLAs for Medicaid patients prompted Molina Healthcare to enhance their IT infrastructure with VCE.
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care
- Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- 3 Ways Clinicians Can Leverage a Patient Portal to Craft a Healthcare Community
- With a bevy of vendors offering patient portal solutions, it can be challenging for a hospital to know where to start. Fortunately, YourCareCommunity...
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?
- Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts