EU's Kroes says Europe's copyright laws are outdated
The laws hold back access to legal content and life-saving research, the digital agenda commissioner said
IDG News Service - Copyright laws are holding back potentially life-saving research, the European Union's top digital lawmaker said on Monday.
Digital Agenda Commissioner Neelie Kroes was speaking at the 2012 Intellectual Property and Innovation Summit in Brussels. She also said E.U. copyright laws are out of date and have failed to keep up with the rapid pace of changing technology.
The E.U.'s Copyright Directive was adopted in 2001, but is based on recommendations dating back to to 1998 -- long before Facebook and YouTube, as the Commissioner pointed out.
Kroes said she is concerned about how copyright laws could be holding back clinical research. Researchers could be making huge breakthroughs by manipulating existing data. "Data and text-mining techniques now lie behind a huge field of research," said Kroes. But research is not explicitly exempted from current copyright rules across the E.U. and Kroes wants to see the researchers "freed them from their current legal tangle."
She also expressed concern that copyright was hampering culture, as online licensing restrictions can make it impossible to buy music legally across an E.U. border.
This view was echoed by Paul Klimpel, former managing director of Deutsche Kinemathek. "Copyright is the highest barrier to the future of our cultural heritage." He added that the term of copyright protection is often longer than economic recovery possibilities, which doesn't make sense and leads to abandoned and worthless works.
Taking up the issue of the length of copyright terms, Bernt Hugenholz, professor of intellectual property at the Institute for Information Law in the University of Amsterdam, asked the commissioner if it is time to put copyright term reduction on the agenda.
Kroes said that she was tempted, but ultimately side-stepped the question.
Apple does more to ensure its solutions are accessible to a wide range of users than any other platform, in spite of any drivel suggesting otherwise.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management
- This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- The Total Cost of Email
- In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based...
- Balancing Security, Compliance and Cost: the Prescription for Healthcare Email Management: Move to the Cloud
- Learn how cloud-based technologies for core productivity tools such as email and collaboration can help healthcare organizations be more efficient with IT dollars...
- Email Security Checklist: Eight Steps for Healthcare Organizations
- Don't let fear of violating Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) codes prevent you from using email to communicate sensitive information.
- Seven questions you must ask before choosing your patient portal solution
- By asking the right questions and connecting the right stakeholders, you can ensure that you implement a true community solution that will improve... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts