Epicor unveils cloud ERP tools for midsize firms, targets SAP, NetSuite
Epicor spent two years on small-scale SaaS in order to learn the ropes first
IDG News Service - Epicor is ready to make a bigger play in cloud-based ERP software, with its offering now available to midsized manufacturers, the company announced Monday.
Initially, Epicor tested the SaaS waters with Epicor Express, which was launched in 2010 and aimed at companies with just a handful of users.
Epicor had about 200 customers running Express as of mid-July, and is expanding access outside of the Americas to Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia-Pacific, CEO Pervez Qureshi said in an interview at the time.
Express provided Epicor with "a way of testing our readiness from a hosting center perspective, being able to support the product, pricing and packaging," Qureshi said.
Epicor's ERP software is fully multitenant SaaS, an architecture wherein a number of customers share the same application instance with their data kept separate from one another. This allows vendors to apply updates to many customers at once, simplifies system management and lowers operational cost.
The company also touts its SOA (service oriented architecture) foundation, which simplifies integration with other systems and allows for modular deployments.
Among legacy midmarket ERP vendors, Epicor is probably the first to deliver full multitenant SaaS, said analyst Ray Wang, CEO of Constellation Research.
This puts it in a position to more closely compete with on-demand manufacturing ERP from the likes of NetSuite, SAP's Business ByDesign and Plex Systems.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Cloud Computing eGuide In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read...
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- IDC: Eliminate Shortcomings in Your Cloud Architecture with Smarter Storage This white paper demonstrates how IBM Smarter Storage provides customers with an ideal, proven platform for cloud computing. IBM has a differentiated storage...
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts