HP all-in-one PC gets trackpad to control Windows 8
Instead of touchscreen, users will navigate the UI of Microsoft's new OS with a wireless trackpad
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard has added four new all-in-one PCs with Windows 8 to its portfolio, including the HP SpectreONE, which lets users control Microsoft's new OS with a wireless trackpad instead of touching the screen directly.
HP's new PCs, the SpectreONE, Envy 23 TouchSmart, Envy 20 TouchSmart and Pavilion 20, will compete with products from the likes of Acer, Lenovo, Samsung Electronics and Toshiba, which have already announced new all-in-one PCs running Windows 8, which will become generally available on Oct. 26.
The SpectreONE is the top model among the products HP announced on Monday. It has a 23.6-inch full-HD display and is 11.5 millimeters thick, which makes it the thinnest all-in-one PC in HP's portfolio, the company said.
The accompanying wireless trackpad, designed for the SpectreONE, has multitouch capabilities allowing users to scroll, swipe and tap their way through the new Windows 8 user interface.
The SpectreOne also allows users to log in or transfer content by touching an NFC tag or NFC-enabled mobile phone on the base of the computer.
The SpectreONE will start shipping in November in the U.S. and cost from $1,299.
HP Envy 23 and Envy 20 TouchSmart PCs have touchscreens that can sense up to 10 fingers and allow users to navigate, type or play games on the screen, according to HP.
Both the SpectreONE and the Envy TouchSmart PCs can be equipped with ExpressCache from Condusiv Technologies to speed boot-up and application start times, HP said.
The HP Pavilion 20 is the simplest of the four new computers. It has a 20-inch non-touch HD display with an integrated HD web cam.
The company expects to start shipping the Envy 23 TouchSmart and Envy 20 TouchSmart PCs in the U.S. in October at starting prices of US$999 and $799, respectively. The Pavilion 20 will also arrive in October and cost from $449.
HP said it will announce more Windows 8 PCs, and a Windows 8 tablet made for business, in the coming weeks. Last month it revealed a tablet-laptop hybrid device running Windows 8, the Envy X2.
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Tablet, Laptop, or Desktop - Form (Factor) Follows Function Desktops, laptops, Ultrabooks, tablets, convertibles, and all-in-ones; suddenly hardware decisions seem a lot more complicated. To take advantage of these benefits, the savviest...
- The IT handbook for Windows 7 and Windows 8 migrations A comprehensive guide for IT departments making the switch from legacy versions of Microsoft Windows to Windows 7 and Windows 8. To date,...
- 7 Reasons Why Windows 8 is the Future Touch, cloud, BYOD and IT consumerization dominate the mindshare of IT managers. Windows 8 enters the scene with a host of features that...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- Peer 1's Mission Critical Cloud: Your Cloud, Your Way Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud offers the ultimate in flexible customization of infrastructure, resources and support. All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts