Intel's lowered forecast 'isn't a good sign' for PC industry
"It's the combination of tablets and an existing slowdown prior to a new OS," said Enderle. "The difficulty is that Microsoft's demand-generation program for Windows 8 hasn't kicked off yet, so no one is seeing demand for that product. If you look into the market, no one, not even Apple, is pushing traditional computers now and consumer buying continues to decline."
Not all is bleak, however.
Lenovo seems to be bucking the downward trend.
The China-based computer manufacturer has been quickly moving up the rungs of the list of top computer makers. While other companies have been struggling, Lenovo has been moving ahead.
At this point, if Lenovo continues on at its current pace, it will surpass long-time top PC-maker Hewlett-Packard to become the world's largest PC manufacturer by early next year.
"HP recently reported a 10% drop in its PC unit and we've seen Dell's PC business sliding, as well," said Olds. "The only PC vendor showing much growth is Lenovo, playing on their home court advantage in Asia.... I simply think people are taking a much closer look at all the technology they're buying and starting to ration their spending."
Charles King, an analyst with Pund-IT, Inc., was quick to note that the fourth quarter of this year is unlikely to look any better.
"It suggests PC vendors are preparing for lower demand in the final quarter of the year by reducing existing inventory rather than gearing up manufacturing," he said. "Given the overall importance of the holiday shopping season to the consumer electronics and PC industries, that's lousy news."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about IT Industry in Computerworld's IT Industry Topic Center.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts