CDW CEO: On growing services, cloud applications and reshaping IT
Network World - Chances are you're already doing business with CDW. After all, the Vernon Hills, Ill.-based provider of tech products and services boasts more than a quarter-million customers to whom it ships more than 2,200 custom-configured systems every day (from a portfolio of more than 100,000 partner products). But CEO Thomas Richards wants you to think of CDW for more than just those new servers or storage devices. Richards has led a strategic push that has CDW now helping IT shops build private clouds, reselling cloud applications from Microsoft and Salesforce.com, among others, and providing its own managed and cloud services with partners like Cisco. In this installment of the IDG Enterprise CEO Interview Series, Richards spoke with Chief Content Officer John Gallant about how CDW is expanding its strategic services offering, and how mobility and consumerization are expanding growth opportunities for the company. He also talked about the rollout of Windows 8 and the Surface tablet, and why CDW is in an ideal position to capitalize on the big changes reshaping IT.
Tom, help our readers understand the mission of CDW, as well as some of the key areas of focus for the company today.
Our mission is to be the leading IT solutions provider in the markets we have chosen to serve. We state it that way because we're not going to try to be all things to all people. There are certain markets where we think we have a great value prop for customers and create great value, and there are other markets that are not in our sweet spot. We've set what we believe is an ambitious goal. That was done a couple years ago as part of a strategy process shortly after I got to CDW. We built that as the mission and then went through a pretty rigorous process of looking at what we do well, what markets we serve and what parts of the IT marketplace had some openings or opportunities where CDW could expand our capabilities.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- IDC Whitepaper: Optimal Path to the Cloud Find out what IDC says about Selecting the Optimal Path to Private Cloud in this analyst white paper. Learn the challenges and benefits...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts