New Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE tablet priced like $499 iPad, surprising analysts
The value to Amazon has been in online goods and services such as its Prime membership for $79 a year that allows borrowing of e-books, instant streaming of movie and TV shows and free shipping of products sold via Amazon.com.
While Bezos announced the higher-priced $499 Kindle Fire HD with 4G LTE at the Thursday event, he also called attention to the Amazon's focus on selling services to customers, not just hardware. "We want to make money when people USE our devices, not when they BUY our devices," said a slide posted behind him as he spoke.
Bezos clearly had Apple in its sites with the $499 device, especially with his claim that a first-year cost of the device, plus a $49.99 service plan, would be $549, compared to his estimate that the iPad 3's first-year cost with 4G service is $959.
Amazon also notes that it's selling devices at a variety of price ranges and sizes.
The all-new Kindle Fire HD 7-in. Model will sell for $199 over Wi-Fi, while the Kindle Fire HD 8.9-in. Over Wi-Fi will start at $299. Meanwhile, a new-generation Kindle Fire with a faster processor and twice the memory of the first one will sell for $159.
Jack Gold, an analyst at J. Gold Associates, said buyers of the LTE-ready Fire will be forced to manage their usage carefully if they want to stream video over LTE, since they are limited to 250MB.
Many users will want to use the LTE for short tasks and stream videos over Wi-Fi, while some will pay for the higher data amounts from AT&T, he predicted.
"LTE is becoming a "must have" for a bigger group of consumers, so it may be more about Amazon addressing market desires than really having LTE as a feature set." Gold said.
"The vast majority of users only deploy tablets over WiFi anyway. If you're going to build a 'Cadillac' device, then HD, LTE and great sound are required by market pressures," he added.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sprint to resell Google Apps for Business cloud service
- Samsung's S5 mini: Slimmer and slower than S5, but still scans fingerprints
- Privacy-focused Blackphone starts shipping to early adopters
- Why you shouldn't buy the Amazon Fire phone
- A closer look at the new technologies in Amazon's Fire smartphone
- Amazon's Fire phone is 'Prime' example of customer first
- Amazon's expected smartphone already faces skeptics
- Update: Tizen OS declared 'dead in the water'
- LG's new G3 smartphone: Simpler is better
- LG G3 sports quad-HD screen and laser autofocus
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts