Western Digital announces its smallest external drive with USB 3.0
The move from USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 ports gives the drives a 10-fold bandwidth increase
Computerworld - Western Digital today announced what it is calling its smallest external hard disk drive, the 500GB My Passport Edge, for both Macs and PCs.
The new drives are 4.34 inches long by 3.2-inches wide and .5-inches thick.
The drives are also an upgrade from the USB 2.0 (480Mbps) to the USB 3.0 (5Gbps) USB I/O interface.
"USB 3.0 for single drive is as fast as Thunderbolt," said Ralf San Jose, WD's branded product manager. San Jose was referring to the hard drive's inability to saturate Thunderbolt, Intel's high-speed interconnect technology, and its 10Gbps of bandwidth.
The My Passport Edge drives come in an all aluminum housing and have native, hardware-based encryption. The MyPassport Edge for Mac, complements Apple's new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lineups in looks and also in that they come configured to take advantage of Apple's Time Machine backup feature.
The My Passport Edge for PC incorporates WD's SmartWare continuous and automatic backup software to create a copy of the content on users' computers.
The new portable hard drives come with a three-year limited warranty and are priced at $109.99 for the PC version and $119.99 for the Mac version.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Storage Hardware in Computerworld's Storage Hardware Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts