Nokia launches Lumia phones with focus on optics, wireless charging, augmented reality
Microsoft-Nokia could make a major impact on the market with new phones, analysts say (see video below)
Computerworld - Nokia today announced the Windows Phone 8 Lumia 920 and the Lumia 820 smartphones, focusing on the 920's superior camera and its map and driving features that use augmented reality, as well as the phone's built-in wireless charging.
The announcement in New York City included a brief appearance by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, who called the launches "an important milestone" in Microsoft's 18-month partnership with Nokia.
"Windows Phone is unlike any other on the market," he said. "You really see it in the 820 and 920."
The innovations in the two smartphones were praised by analysts who also said their ultimate success will depend on other factors, such as marketing and partnerships with wireless carriers. Windows Phone still has less than 5% market share, even with relative success from its Lumia 900 released earlier in 2012.
The 920 has an 8.7 megapixel camera, and a 4.5-in. display with 1280 x 768 resolution, slightly larger than the 820's 4.3-in. display. The 920 phone is .42 in. x 2.8 in. x 4.06 in. in size and weighs 7.2 ounces. It will come in a choice of three colors; yellow, red, or gray, while the 820 will also come in purple.
Pricing was not announced. A Nokia spokeswoman said the two smartphones will be available globally "later in the year."
"This is the most innovative smartphone in the world," said Jo Harlow, executive vice president of Nokia smart devices in a Webcast of the event, as she held up the canary yellow smartphone. "This is Lumia, and it's time to switch."
"Both companies need to break out and prove that their phones and the Windows Phone 8 platform are viable competitors," said Charles Golvin, an analyst at Forrester Research.
"The new  device demonstrates that, technically and in design, that they are [viable competitors], but the critical factors in proving this are operator partnerships and clear marketing. We have to wait and see if those happen."
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 3 Steps to Content Sharing and Collaboration ft. Forrester Research Consumer sync and share tools help people access and send personal files, but smart IT leaders know that businesses require more than just...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more