Nokia launches Lumia phones with focus on optics, wireless charging, augmented reality
Microsoft-Nokia could make a major impact on the market with new phones, analysts say (see video below)
Computerworld - Nokia today announced the Windows Phone 8 Lumia 920 and the Lumia 820 smartphones, focusing on the 920's superior camera and its map and driving features that use augmented reality, as well as the phone's built-in wireless charging.
The announcement in New York City included a brief appearance by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, who called the launches "an important milestone" in Microsoft's 18-month partnership with Nokia.
"Windows Phone is unlike any other on the market," he said. "You really see it in the 820 and 920."
The innovations in the two smartphones were praised by analysts who also said their ultimate success will depend on other factors, such as marketing and partnerships with wireless carriers. Windows Phone still has less than 5% market share, even with relative success from its Lumia 900 released earlier in 2012.
The 920 has an 8.7 megapixel camera, and a 4.5-in. display with 1280 x 768 resolution, slightly larger than the 820's 4.3-in. display. The 920 phone is .42 in. x 2.8 in. x 4.06 in. in size and weighs 7.2 ounces. It will come in a choice of three colors; yellow, red, or gray, while the 820 will also come in purple.
Pricing was not announced. A Nokia spokeswoman said the two smartphones will be available globally "later in the year."
"This is the most innovative smartphone in the world," said Jo Harlow, executive vice president of Nokia smart devices in a Webcast of the event, as she held up the canary yellow smartphone. "This is Lumia, and it's time to switch."
"Both companies need to break out and prove that their phones and the Windows Phone 8 platform are viable competitors," said Charles Golvin, an analyst at Forrester Research.
"The new  device demonstrates that, technically and in design, that they are [viable competitors], but the critical factors in proving this are operator partnerships and clear marketing. We have to wait and see if those happen."
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!