Apple's U.S. share of smartphones grows to 33.4%
Android still dominates at 52%
Computerworld - Apple's iPhone share of U.S. smartphone subscribers bumped upward 2 percentage points from May through July, giving it 33.4% of the market, online tracking and analytics firm comScore said Tuesday.
The increase could be attributed to broad availability of the iPhone on several U.S. carriers and the availability of more affordable, older iPhone models, including the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, as Apple prepares to release a new model, comScore analyst Andrew Lipsman said in an email. Apple is expected to announce a fifth-generation iPhone on Sept. 12.
All other smartphone platforms declined in market share. The BlackBerry from Research in Motion declined by 2.1 percentage points to 9.5% share, and Microsoft's Windows Phone slipped 0.4 percentage points to 3.6%.
There were 114 million U.S. smartphone owners in the three-month period from May through July, an increase of 7% from the period that ended in April, comScore reported.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!