Apple's U.S. share of smartphones grows to 33.4%
Android still dominates at 52%
Computerworld - Apple's iPhone share of U.S. smartphone subscribers bumped upward 2 percentage points from May through July, giving it 33.4% of the market, online tracking and analytics firm comScore said Tuesday.
The increase could be attributed to broad availability of the iPhone on several U.S. carriers and the availability of more affordable, older iPhone models, including the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, as Apple prepares to release a new model, comScore analyst Andrew Lipsman said in an email. Apple is expected to announce a fifth-generation iPhone on Sept. 12.
All other smartphone platforms declined in market share. The BlackBerry from Research in Motion declined by 2.1 percentage points to 9.5% share, and Microsoft's Windows Phone slipped 0.4 percentage points to 3.6%.
There were 114 million U.S. smartphone owners in the three-month period from May through July, an increase of 7% from the period that ended in April, comScore reported.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts