Apple's U.S. share of smartphones grows to 33.4%
Android still dominates at 52%
Computerworld - Apple's iPhone share of U.S. smartphone subscribers bumped upward 2 percentage points from May through July, giving it 33.4% of the market, online tracking and analytics firm comScore said Tuesday.
The increase could be attributed to broad availability of the iPhone on several U.S. carriers and the availability of more affordable, older iPhone models, including the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, as Apple prepares to release a new model, comScore analyst Andrew Lipsman said in an email. Apple is expected to announce a fifth-generation iPhone on Sept. 12.
All other smartphone platforms declined in market share. The BlackBerry from Research in Motion declined by 2.1 percentage points to 9.5% share, and Microsoft's Windows Phone slipped 0.4 percentage points to 3.6%.
There were 114 million U.S. smartphone owners in the three-month period from May through July, an increase of 7% from the period that ended in April, comScore reported.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts