Oracle appeals $306M settlement in TomorrowNow lawsuit against SAP
A federal judge had earlier set aside a jury award of $1.3 billion to Oracle
IDG News Service - Oracle is appealing a $306 million settlement in the TomorrowNow corporate-theft case against German competitor SAP, according to court documents.
The Redwood Shores, California, business software company said in a filing on Friday that it was serving notice of its appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit from a final judgement entered last month by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, Oakland Division.
The case centers around a corporate theft trial, in which SAP admitted liability for illegal downloads of Oracle software and support materials by a former subsidiary, TomorrowNow, which provided low-cost support for Oracle applications.
A jury awarded Oracle $1.3 billion in damages in 2010, which was set aside last year by the Judge Phyllis J. Hamilton, who gave Oracle the option of accepting $272 million or seeking a new trial to determine damages.
Oracle opted for a new trial which was scheduled to begin last month, but the two companies entered into an agreement ahead of the trial in which SAP agreed to pay Oracle the $306 million in relief. Oracle and SAP said in a joint filing on Aug. 2 that they were stipulating a final judgement to save time and expense on a new trial, and to expedite the resolution of an appeal.
The parties also reserved the right "to seek all appropriate appellate relief, including without limitation reinstatement of the original $1.3 billion judgment."
The agreement meant that Oracle could immediately file its appeal of the ruling that rejected the $1.3 billion award, the company said in a statement last month. ((
Pursuant to the stipulation by both parties, Judge Hamilton ordered payment of $306 million to Oracle as relief. The judge also noted in the Aug. 3 judgment that the parties had agreed that Oracle was paid $120 million in legal fees by SAP.
SAP could not be immediately reached for comment on Oracle's appeal.
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts