Oracle appeals $306M settlement in TomorrowNow lawsuit against SAP
A federal judge had earlier set aside a jury award of $1.3 billion to Oracle
IDG News Service - Oracle is appealing a $306 million settlement in the TomorrowNow corporate-theft case against German competitor SAP, according to court documents.
The Redwood Shores, California, business software company said in a filing on Friday that it was serving notice of its appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit from a final judgement entered last month by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, Oakland Division.
The case centers around a corporate theft trial, in which SAP admitted liability for illegal downloads of Oracle software and support materials by a former subsidiary, TomorrowNow, which provided low-cost support for Oracle applications.
A jury awarded Oracle $1.3 billion in damages in 2010, which was set aside last year by the Judge Phyllis J. Hamilton, who gave Oracle the option of accepting $272 million or seeking a new trial to determine damages.
Oracle opted for a new trial which was scheduled to begin last month, but the two companies entered into an agreement ahead of the trial in which SAP agreed to pay Oracle the $306 million in relief. Oracle and SAP said in a joint filing on Aug. 2 that they were stipulating a final judgement to save time and expense on a new trial, and to expedite the resolution of an appeal.
The parties also reserved the right "to seek all appropriate appellate relief, including without limitation reinstatement of the original $1.3 billion judgment."
The agreement meant that Oracle could immediately file its appeal of the ruling that rejected the $1.3 billion award, the company said in a statement last month. ((
Pursuant to the stipulation by both parties, Judge Hamilton ordered payment of $306 million to Oracle as relief. The judge also noted in the Aug. 3 judgment that the parties had agreed that Oracle was paid $120 million in legal fees by SAP.
SAP could not be immediately reached for comment on Oracle's appeal.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts