Macworld - Pixel Addict's Arms Cartel Global, for the iPhone and iPod touch, is as massive multiplayer online game that may test your patience.
You're tasked with building a large illegal drug operation, one capable of smiting all potential competitors. To accomplish your goal, you must travel to far-flung locales like Mexico and Saudi Arabia, attacking and robbing rival cartels. You must gather weapons, build drug fronts, and recruit cartel members.
You must also learn the art of waiting.
(Image Caption: View From a Distance: You send out minions on missions to gather weapons, build drug fronts, and recruit cartel members in Arms Cartel Global, but much of this goes down without a lot of direct intervention from you.)
You don't play as a hands-on drug kingpin. You can dictate what your cartel members should do, whether it be robbing enemies or building drug fronts, but you never get see them take action. Instead, you just point to areas on the game map where you want tasks completed, then sit back and wait for the game to calculate whether your minions were successful at those tasks. It's a pretty passive gaming experience.
I wouldn't mind Arms Cartel Global's waiting aspect if any of its objectives felt even the slightest bit different from the other. Instead, fighting enemy cartels feels just the same as buying new cartel weapons. The game does have a nice interface, but it leads you on a journey to nowhere.
Sam Felsing is a former Macworld Intern. He works as full-time political consultant and part-time freelance writer.
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Case Study: AMAG Pharmaceuticals As an IT pioneer in the pharmaceuticals industry, AMAG realized that SaaS backup and recovery would give them the confidence to fully embrace...
- Workload Change: The 70 Percent of Your Business DevOps Forgot Adding WLA early in the development process ensures that the benefits of DevOps accrue for all applications, including your batch services. This paper...
- Oracle EBS and RAC Performance & Elasticity on Vblock™ Systems VCE Vblock™ Systems provide simple, low-risk solutions for migrating from a physical to virtual environment.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!