Macworld - Pixel Addict's Arms Cartel Global, for the iPhone and iPod touch, is as massive multiplayer online game that may test your patience.
You're tasked with building a large illegal drug operation, one capable of smiting all potential competitors. To accomplish your goal, you must travel to far-flung locales like Mexico and Saudi Arabia, attacking and robbing rival cartels. You must gather weapons, build drug fronts, and recruit cartel members.
You must also learn the art of waiting.
(Image Caption: View From a Distance: You send out minions on missions to gather weapons, build drug fronts, and recruit cartel members in Arms Cartel Global, but much of this goes down without a lot of direct intervention from you.)
You don't play as a hands-on drug kingpin. You can dictate what your cartel members should do, whether it be robbing enemies or building drug fronts, but you never get see them take action. Instead, you just point to areas on the game map where you want tasks completed, then sit back and wait for the game to calculate whether your minions were successful at those tasks. It's a pretty passive gaming experience.
I wouldn't mind Arms Cartel Global's waiting aspect if any of its objectives felt even the slightest bit different from the other. Instead, fighting enemy cartels feels just the same as buying new cartel weapons. The game does have a nice interface, but it leads you on a journey to nowhere.
Sam Felsing is a former Macworld Intern. He works as full-time political consultant and part-time freelance writer.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts